More breaks

The 911 GT3 has "uprated brakes" over a standard 911. It also has more power than a standard 911. It is not a standard 911 and has what I'd descibe as "factory fit performance mods".

The notion that EBC Green Stuff are not designed for heavy cars is absolute rubbish. You can get Green Stuff pads for numerous heavy cars. Why would they make pads that ONLY fit a specific model when it is a big heavy car if they can't be used on big heavy cars?

My point is/was that a heavy car has big brakes because it needs them. A big car will have pads of a very similar material to a smaller car, although they will be bigger. If the pads need to be of a different material that means that either the brake sizes are underspecified.

The Porsche 911 GT3 does not actually need any different pad material to a Ford Ka for normal legal road use. If the driver intends of a GT3 uses the brakes more heavilly (i.e. track use / illegal speeds / illegal road racing etc) it would need better specified pads.

-- James

Reply to
James

right so if I'm fully prepared etc I should be able to get it done in a weekend?

Reply to
Theo

Exactly - faster, heavier cars need different pad material because they have more work to do compared to a slower, lighter car thats going slower. So performance and weight IS a factor. Fast cars are brought to be driven fast (or at least they should be) so they DO need an uprated pad material.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Yep, I did! But there was six of us in a borrowed well equiped workshop.

Reply to
Burgerman

So what you are saying is that you'd be happy with Ford Ka sized discs on a GT3 is the pads were made of a material of high enough spec and their size wouldn't bother you in the least?

Personally, I'd prefer standard braking materials and huge disks...

-- James

Reply to
James

2 options, 3 door sierra old shape, or a saphire 2000E if I can find one, any differences I should be aware of?
Reply to
Theo

None.

No, they are all the same!

Reply to
Burgerman

Nope

Good for you, i'd rather have big brakes with pads that would withstand a bit of fade and wouldnt crumble when they got too hot.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They're listed as £48 Lucas, or £60 Bendix !

Lucas and Girling are perhaps the same design ?

Reply to
Nom

The road - I have no intention of ever taking my car onto a racetrack :)

Reply to
Nom

But how would that happen ?

As you point out, big cars come with big-enough pads.

Exactly my point !

If I put Greenstuff onto my 1300Kg 200bhp 620 TI, they would wear out in about five minutes - because the material is underspecified.

Me thinks you need to read the thread again !

Reply to
Nom

NO IT IS NOT !

I have used them many times. They ARE NOT SUITABLE for hard-driving of heavy cars !

They can be used - if you never brake hard, then Greenstuff will suit you just fine. Hell, if you never brake hard, then a £20 no-name set from your local Motorfactor will suit you just fine !

Well duh...

Rubbish.

Rubbish.

Rubbish.

Different cars DO use different compounds from the factory.

Go and buy yourself a set of 911 Turbo pads, and a set of 1.1 Nova pads. They will be VERY different compounds !

Reply to
Nom

EH ?

"Ford Ka sized discs on a GT3" simply would not work, no matter WHAT compound your pads were !

Reply to
Nom

Yeah, you would wouldn't you :D

Get a set of Redstuff on there - I've been very pleased with mine. On my second set now :)

Reply to
Nom

The point that was made (not by me) was the Greenstuff can not be used on a heavy car.

My point is that they can be used on a heavy car and have the same life that they would have on a lighter car because the heavier car would have proportionally bigger pads than the lighter car assuming that they were drivin similarly. Therefore the pad material and life have nothing whatsoever to do with the weight of the car.

If the brakes on the heavier car were not proportionally enlargened over those on the lighter car it is not a fair comparison (comparing cars simply by their weights when their braking capability is not proportional to weight).

When Kimble did the Gumball run in "his" Brabus he (or his driver) managed to crack the front discs, they were large cross drilled discs.

Any braking system no matter how capable will fail if taken behond its design limits, and Green Stuff pads are no exception. The fact that Green Stuff are marketed as "performance" pads probably doesn't help either since people who buy "performance" pads will use them as "performance" pads when they are clearly sensitive to overheating i.e. crumbling where many more standard pads would just glaze.

You can talk about Porsche 911 GT3s and Turbos all day but these are not standard cars and do not get driven as such. If you look the smallest engined Fiesta available and compare it's brake pad material with that of the largest engined Fiesta you will find that the materials are not a lot different although the sizes will be, the heavier faster car has bigger brakes with the same pad material. I would have used the Focus or the Mondeo here as examples but the Focus RS and Modeo ST220 are clearly "performance" models and have uprated brakes.

You may have noticed that where I have used the word "performance" I have enclosed it in inverted commas, "enthusiastic driver" or "boy racer" would both do as subsitutes.

-- James

Reply to
James

Yep.

No.

It has bigger pads, but not "proportionally" bigger as you seem to think. Cars with 6 times as much power, don't have brake pads six times as big !

Incorrect.

The Greenstuff are very soft - much softer than the stock pads. So they always wear quicker than the pads they replace.

If you put them on a big/heavy car, and drive it hard, the extra heat generated by the weight of the car (remember brake pads convert kinetic energy to heat) kills them even faster.

Reply to
Nom

Yellowstuff.

I didn't mention speed in the above, I only mentioned weight, and if the brakes aren't proportionally bigger it is not a fair comparison.

"If the brakes on the heavier car were not proportionally enlargened over those on the lighter car it is not a fair comparison "

I think you've missed out the middle stage of the generally accepted "read, understand, reply" protocol.

-- James

Reply to
James

Correct. In which case, it's not a fair comparison.

If you get a car with five times as much power, weighing twice as much, then the brake pads are clearly not gonna be ten times as big - you'd need wheels about 25" in diamater :)

Nope, I completed all stages just fine.

We all know it's not a fair comparison ! This doesn't change the fact that Greenstuff are unsuitable for big and/or heavy cars. But Redstuff are fine on either/both. I speak from experience here !

Reply to
Nom

Perhaps what you meant to say was that "Greenstuff are unsuitable for FAST cars and heavy use".

Small fast cars and big / heavy slow cars do exist, I'm sure I could find a small / light car that Greenstuff wouldn't last very well in.

-- James

Reply to
James

What I meant to say was "Greenstuff are unsuitable for fast and/or heavy cars" :)

Yep.

Reply to
Nom