One for Adrian

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

RetroRides, I presume?

You won't be surprised to hear that car's had at least one major electrical fire...

Reply to
Adrian

Yup, from the RR08 Gathering at Gaydon.

I didn't get there, so I was browsing other peoples threads.

Reply to
Elder

5 liter petrol and a match!

Quick!!!

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

You don't need that much to set fire to a 2CV....at least one of mine started smouldering by itself when the loose heater pipe fell off :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Cheers Mike: I know but we had to cook all those lenses too :-)

I have race (modified) 2cv's, I still can open/change the camshaft/close the engine between soupe and dinner. (BTW the worst Russian engines are better designed than the 2cv-citroen).

The 2cv is aircooled and the heaterelement is just a tin box with a cable activated lid around the exhaust. Very nice piece of engineering... and surely when then exhaust pipe is rotten at that point ;-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Tom De Moor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You won't be surprised to hear me disagree...

Ah, but I've never yet seen the pipe through the heat exchanger rot.

Got to be about the only bit of a 2cv I can say that about, though...

Anyway, how about Beetle heat exchangers, and that bloody silly pipe going through the sill...?

Reply to
Adrian

Or me. I've never destroyed a 2CV engine but I have destroyed 2 lada motors.

No, I've never seen a heat exchanger rot on one either. I had one that the head was leaking on the drivers (right) side which was passing exhaust gas into the cabin though.

I've never seen the top bit of the body - above the doors rot on one. Yet.

That whole car is just plain daft really.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I have - the seam above the B-pillar.

Reply to
Adrian

As are Fiat 500, Mini, Beetle, Messerschidt of other BMW-bubble cars.

All went for the supercheap (and using bad engineering practices to get there). It is telling that of the list *only* Volkswagen made money doing so. The others *never* made a penny profit for their manufacturer.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Don't be knocking Fiat 500s. I've just bought one. I must be mental.

Reply to
Pete M

Polish one that made it as far as CZ?

Reply to
Elder

Look at its suspension(*)

Resist the urge of hitting your head against a wall. So you bought a FIAT (Fix It Again Today). Good luck. :-)

Tom De Moor

(*) the orginal 500 that is, the new is just Fiat Punto.

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Nope, he bought one but he doesn't say how he bought it.I suspect he got it for free, maybe it was pushed in his hands along with some money.

That is a stark reminder of a Yougoslavian car -Yugo (I ain't kidding). US-buyers of a certain GM-model (forgot which one) got it for free as an extra. Marketings monkeys claimed they would sell more of the big GM-car using that trick.

That little Yugo, most were red, carried a warranty of 4 years which never was asked for: almost all rusted away after less than 2 years. Only the Californians rescued some.

Guess what I found under a heap of haie in California earilier this year?

A Yugo? No, just more haie :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

------------------------------------------------------------------------- If it's the new one I think they look like great fun. Kudos.

Reply to
Les Ross

Sorry but I had a fix it again Stilo and it was fantastic. Drive one and use it for a while before dragging up the past.

Reply to
Les Ross