OT: Just got the new Mobile I wanted for free.

Still had to accept a new 18 month contract, but they wanted that when=20 they wanted to charge me =A3150 for it anyway.

So, in the next few days, an Orange SPV M700 (unfortunatly in white as=20 black is only for business customers) which should have the GPS active=20 (according to users) is on it's way to me for =A30 and 0p I like free, free is good.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Nine Inch Nails-March of the Pigs

Elder

I hate free, most "free" things cost far more than I would ever spend on=20 them.=20

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

It's not 'free' - it's subsidised by an 18 month contract costing 'HFM!?'.

I stopped doing contract phones last year and have saved a fortune in doing so.

My current personal phone is a PPC phone on a T-Mobile SIM-only, 30 day notice 'contract'.

Reply to
SteveH

Well, I was going to end up with an new contract anyway, either if I=20 paid for the handset, or moved to another provider.

It seems one year to ignore you but just take your money isn't enough=20 anymore. they want 18 months now.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Nine Inch Nails-March of the Pigs

Elder

Those of us with friends save money by been on a contract though ;-)

If I was on PAYG (I dunno what PPC is) it would cost me about £100 a month easy... I need my 500 included texts and 200 included minutes heh.

Reply to
Iridium

Fuck me. How can anyone spend so long on the phone?

I'm sure even my business calls can't be much more than a few hours / month.

Reply to
SteveH

I could have paid for one of those phones. But it would have been more=20 than Orange upgrade wanted for an upgrade.

I did think about T-Mobile Flex-T and Web'n'Walk. With the MDA Vario II, without the TomTom bundle it would have been=20 =A3200, and not have had the GPS built in, and the T-Mobile package was=20 dearer each month and was 18months too.

It is free, in comparison to the subsidised =A3149.99 with a new 18month,= =20 same price contract. I like to pay what I know I'm paying. I get a matched number of=20 evening/offpeak minutes everymonth. So I use most of my anytime minutes=20 during the day, and my evening minutes at night. I can use the phone as=20 much as I need and not pay for calls.

The home phone through bulldog is the same. I pay a small ammount=20 everymonth on top of line rental, ADSL, and fixed IP charge and I get=20 all calls to 01, 02, local rate and freephone numbers bundled in. Only=20

0870 and mobile numbers cost. And when I ring them I use my inclusive=20 minutes. The missus is with Tesco mobile and uses her PAYG to ring other=20 mobiles because it is cheaper than using the home phone for that. So we=20 have budgetted that as best as possible.

Basically, having always been contract, with a basic phone, it has=20 always cost =A325-30 inclusive of VAT a month. But I have gone from the original 60 minutes, to total 400 minutes use.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Nine Inch Nails-March of the Pigs

Elder

So, in the next few days, an Orange SPV M700 (unfortunatly in white as black is only for business customers) which should have the GPS active (according to users) is on it's way to me for £0 and 0p I like free, free is good.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

My minutes usually have a few roll over, and often I notice I use more than one text at a time - lord knows, but they all go usually heh.

Reply to
Iridium

Are you *sure* you're not a woman?

I mean, you have a girlie car and girlie phone habits :-P

Reply to
SteveH

Reasonably.

This is true...

Reply to
Iridium

Have I told you my story about my Italian friend with a PPC phone?

Reply to
Steve Firth

See I've never worked for anyone who provided a phone. And I've never given my personal mobile to work (because they would only=20 give it to clients), because they wouldn't subsidise the bill for taking=20 it.

I like a decent feature rich phone. I like to play. On this one, the GPS was the killer. Even if they had said =A350, I might= =20 have gone for it. What does a TomTom cost. And, until I buy the=20 software, Orangemaps is a product they do for free download as an=20 ongoing no charge trial. Not as good as TomTom but free. The maps are=20 stored on a server and downloaded as you need them, and updated=20 regularly. So you pay for a small data connection for the maps on your=20 planned route (or parts of if you have some already), and once=20 downloaded they stay there.

I think I will need to get a 4gig MiniSD card. That way I have an iPod=20 nano, TomTom, and the basic phone functions, all for the price of the=20 memory stick.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Nine Inch Nails-March of the Pigs

Elder

No.

Reply to
SteveH

And tiny little lady testicles?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh well, he's a journalist from the North and he was out skiing in the Dolomites. He went slightly wide at a turn, ran off-piste crashed through trees and broke his leg. Although he could hear people on the slope above they couldn't hear him. However he did have his shiny new PPC phone that he had been boasting about for weeks and a godo signal, so he tried to call

112 for help.

The phone BSOD'd, again and again and again... It did it each time he tried to call 112 or 114. He then tried to phone office contacts and indeed just about anybody who could help getting (I think) his mother's cleaner who was f*ck all use, and the caretaker at his office.

Fortunately for him he was spotted by another skier who had a real phone and was able to call for help.

PPC - TAPI layered on top of a flaky OS - is a really, really poor choice if you want a reliable phone.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Lol!

To be honest, I haven't had any real issues with WM2005 - this is the full PPC version, not the phone version, which is useless.

I don't use it much as a phone, that's what my 6230i is for, but it's great for picking up emails etc. on the move.

Reply to
SteveH

See I've never worked for anyone who provided a phone. And I've never given my personal mobile to work (because they would only give it to clients), because they wouldn't subsidise the bill for taking it.

I like a decent feature rich phone. I like to play. On this one, the GPS was the killer. Even if they had said £50, I might have gone for it. What does a TomTom cost. And, until I buy the software, Orangemaps is a product they do for free download as an ongoing no charge trial. Not as good as TomTom but free. The maps are stored on a server and downloaded as you need them, and updated regularly. So you pay for a small data connection for the maps on your planned route (or parts of if you have some already), and once downloaded they stay there.

I think I will need to get a 4gig MiniSD card. That way I have an iPod nano, TomTom, and the basic phone functions, all for the price of the memory stick.

Reply to
Ronny

I don't know any ladies with testicles - is there anything you want to share with the group...?

Reply to
Iridium

Only to suggest that someone may be a lady doing a ladies job.

Reply to
Steve Firth