OT: Longbridge as it is now

technically illegal entry, but very very weird.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Coo... top link, cheers.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Seems "visiting" abandoned and empty properties for pure exploration is a popular international past time.

is where I found out about the Longbridge exploration.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Aye... I was just struck by some of the pictures of Longbridge, was all... the way cars are still sitting there half finished on the production lines all this time after the event, as it were.

Quite depressing really, in its own way.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I saw one a few years ago by a guy visiting an old missile silo - complete with warning "I got caught - don't do this". Aha, found it:

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Great site find Carl, real interesting stuff :)

Reply to
Ronny

One of the Skoda club lads lives and works in CZ now. Every year a few members go over in a few of the surviving rear engined models.

Couple of years ago, before he got married one of the lads took "Snotty" his very noisy very modified 120L over.

They found an "Abandoned" russian hanger and airstrip and spent all day tearing the arse out of it. You could race arround the inside, it was designed for hold Antonov cargo planes, and just sat empty. He said the engine sounded fantastic with the hanger doors shut and all echoing inside.

Unfortunatley it was before video phones they have no record.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

hehe cool!

Reply to
Vamp

The eastern block is like that. Loads of places just get aboandoned and nothing ever done with them, even lethal places. If you are brave or stupid, you can even drive/ride arround Chernobyl.

Stay on the tarmac, and don't g too slowly and you are fine, go onto the grass/dirt or into some of the buildings and the chance is, you might get a lethal dose within hours, or at best a few visits.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I know the girl who you've read about riding through Pripyat and Chernobyl, Lena, bizarrely enough.

I sent her an e-mither a couple of years ago basically saying "you must be mad to do this, but I like the pictures.. tell me more about it", and ended up with her on my MSN. Sent her a bit for her scooter a while back. Top lass. Mad as a hatter though

Chat to her quite often, although she's getting a lot of stick from the Ukranian gubbermint at the moment.

Reply to
Pete M

Yup, that is her. her Chernobyl photos are incredible.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Yea i've seen them - very cool. Although i do recall someone on UKRM saying it was a load of bollocks and all faked? But then, that was UKRM where i remember reading a thread with someone claiming a Golf SDi was not that slow...

Reply to
DanTXD

Lol.

But, on the question of the Chernobyl photos, yes, they're fakes.

Reply to
SteveH

No, the story about a lone bike-ride is a poetically romanticised fake, but the pics are genuine.

Reply to
Albert T Cone