OT: Suspension mods..

So I recently bought a Passat Tdi (115) estate from my boss for a stupidly low price 'cos it was struggling starting and had lost power. One MAF sensor later and all is better. Bosch MAF sensor on eBay: £40, Pissing your boss off royally: priceless :-D

Anyway. As a tool for tanking up and down the motorway, and chucking bikes in the back, it's perfect, and from that point of view I'd quite like to keep it, but I'm already getting pissed off with the ride and handling - it manages to be both stiff AND bouncy and won't do anything but understeer. So, the question is, anyone know of any suspension mods for the B5 passat? Obviously don't want to spend £silly on what is fundamentally a tool, and I have my old 205 for weekend frolics...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Stiff and bouncy? Sounds like a fooked shocker.

Reply to
Conor

That sounds so like my Octavia.

Reply to
Elder

One cylinder too few :-)

How does it compare to your old A6? (Yes, I was bound to be asking this!). I'm guessing handling is going to be better - what about ride quality? I can imagine it'd consistently average 5-10mpg more most of the time - does that still hold true for it being caned the f*ck out of? Overall, any particular things you'd say you preferred about one over the other?

Ah, so the ride/handing aren't all that then...

Reply to
AstraVanMan

BTW, do it feel great upto 65, but much over that the steering goes all light and wandery?

Reply to
Elder

Is this a problem with your car? My Octavia (1.6 h/back) feels quite solid at speed, as my dads (2.0 estate).

Maybe you should get it checked - could be a bit hairy if there is something amiss.

Reply to
conkersack

Surely it wastes hot hatches down the country though? And is devestating in a straight line?

How does it compare to the 405, on a more serious note?

Reply to
Iridium

Exactly like SWMBOs 2000 MY Seat Ibiza as well. Although that is Polo based, but I guess the chassis shares much in it's attributes.

My Golf, being a MK3.5 is actually better in this regard.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'd get the bushes and shocks checked out. Mine didn't do that.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah. Done it pretty much since I got it. Getting MOT'd in the next couple of weeks (due on 29th so I'll try to get it in next week). I it is justa little wear (103k miles) I'll sort it once I'm working proper. If it is MOT fail or obvious broken component, I guess the CC gets flexed.

Reply to
Elder

Strangely, the missus has a Fabia. And when she drove my car to my mothers funeral, incase I upset, wasted or both (both as it happens) she never noticed anything wrong with my car.

Both the Saabs and the GT4 were definatley a lot more "settled" in the way they drove. The convertible saab body rolled a lot, but didn't feel wobbly or bouncy.

Reply to
Elder

get the angle grinder out - lop a coil or two off the springs.

I jest.

Reply to
JohnR

I suppose they could be getting a bit tired, but it doesn't feel noticeably different to any other Passat I've driven, which seem to be setup for terminal understeer. I think I need to modify it from the stock setup.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Sorry, perhaps a bit of a poor description. The shocks are, I think, fine. My Parents' passats (yes, plural..) feel the same. It's the inherent ride/handling of the passat in general which I'm not keen on. I'm just not clear whether it's due to the suspension geometry or the spring/shock combination used.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Damn right.

I prefer the controls and the seating in the Passat. I think the stereo may be slightly better too. I otherwise preferred the cabin in the A6. The engine is nowhere near as good as the I5 in the A6, it definitely isn't anywhere near as quick, it doesn't have *that* sound and and it's not really significantly more economical, although it doesn't have the stupidly long gearing in top, which used to bug me. We may have to see what a bit'o'chipping can do for the performance.

Handling and such - well, I suppose the Passat is slightly less wallowy, but at least you could get the back end to play in the A6, so it was more interesting to be silly in. Ride wise, much of a muchness. I feel a lot less guilty about chucking a mud-covered bike in the back of the passat, and don't bother going out of my way to avoid parking next to micras in tesco car park, so in an odd way it's more practical..

Reply to
Albert T Cone

No, not noticed that. It feels equally solid and dull at quite illegal speeds. er, I would imagine.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Oh, yeah, naturally. It's the supercars it struggles with. Took me ages to shake off that Zonda.

Interior finish is a bit better, although not by such a radical margin as popular perception would suggest, the engine is much better, the ride and handling much much worse. And it's much less practical. Put a decent engine in the 405 and it would be far the better car, IMO.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Cool. Where'd I put me googles?

Damn.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Bugger. Mine goes a bit floaty until you get to about 90, then seems to settle down. unfortunatly it is a little noisy then so you back off and get all floaty again.

Reply to
Elder