OT: Tax

Nothing, because the super markets won't pay any more for the good looking stuff, they just won't pay for the natural stuff.

They still screw the farmer, and the customer, crank it down there, crank it up here.

Reply to
Elder

Have you ever heard the phrase "can you spare any change".

We have people living and dying on the streets of every major city. Although you won't hear it inside your insulated ultimate cross country cacoon.

Reply to
Elder

Yes, we do.

Although this is not because help isn't available, it's because, for whatever reason, they won't take it.

That's very different to help not being available to them.

Reply to
SteveH

And who are you?

Oh, someone who never had anything worthwhile to say.

Reply to
SteveH

If you don't like it, you know what to do.

But the grass is always greener, even when it's not.

Reply to
SteveH

Despite my feelings over supermarket buying policies, if you're throwing

1/3 of your crop away, it *does* have a knock-on effect on pricing.
Reply to
SteveH

No, many people are sick of being ripped off for tax. Only fools think that something wonderful happens if they had their money over to politicians. I can assure you I know how to spend my income better than any politician does.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It is just getting to the point that I can see those people who can get=20 manual work for close to =A325k a year if they put their backs, who prefer= =20 to stay on benefits, I can see why they do.

Our combined income is probably about =A332-35k, and while we aren't yet=20 struggling, if we have to spend an additional =A3100 a month over normal=20 for more than a couple of months we have to tighten our belts and watch=20 the pennies.

We have no social life, because a social life costs money we don't have.=20 And neither of us has a pension yet.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Not when the supermarket sets the price and the quality. If they said, we will give you x per kilo for tomatoes, and the farmer could say for "for the quality you want it will cost you x+2 because of my wastage" I would agree with you. But they don't. The farmer gets told what he will get paid if he meets targets, on the payment terms of the customer, the supermarket.

Reply to
Elder

You mean as in benefits. Benefits that need a permanent address. An address that needs paying for. And how do they get that address, well they could apply for housing benefit if they had an address in the first place.

And a lot of the beggars and the homeless are cared for by the community, or at least they would be if they took their medication. Something they used to do when we still had a mental health care system.

Reply to
Elder

It's not all about supermarkets, you know.

If people would accept less 'perfect' produce, there would be a market for what currently goes out as waste.

As things stand, people keep funding the supermarkets because they want their tomatoes to be perfectly round and glossy.

Reply to
SteveH

'I'm alright - f*ck the rest of you'.....

Reply to
SteveH

It's not perfect, as I've already said.

But if we cut taxes, it would be one hell of a lot worse.

Reply to
SteveH

What gives you the right to put your hand into my pocket?

Reply to
Steve Firth

If our tax money was effectively spent then maybe we wouldn't have to hand over so much each month.

Reply to
Abo

Alternatively, we should be getting much better quality services for our money.

Reply to
SteveH

The OAP is funded via the NI contributions. As much as anything is directly funded.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And will that private company waive contributions when you're out of work for any reason? And for how long? The problem with many private schemes is they emphasis the benefits but you have to look hard to find the possible downside.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thought you had long standing medical problems? You'd never get insurance there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pray tell of *any* country where this doesn't happen?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)