OT: Tax

But in America, you can actually be pikey enough to starve to death - that's quite unlikely over here, also, if you get the aids/cancer/bad stuff and are poor - you get s**te care and die. Conversely over here, I was in the room next door to Paul Hunter (the snooker player) when he was ill.

Reply to
DanB

Oh dear.

It's not a newspaper.

You're arguing from the same basis as those who believed that society could not work without slavery.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It wouldn't work these days - too many pikeys that wouldn't contribute and would expect others to do it all for them. Actually so pretty much like the current situation heh.

Communism for the win...

Reply to
DanB

Yup. Having glanced at it no newspaper would dare print such pretentious nonsense.

No I'm not. Unless you want to add slave to your use of steal and other such emotive language. No fit individual in a civilisation can be free of some responsibility towards it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Saying that it didn't agree with your prejudices woudl have been more honest.

I did not state that members of a society have no responsibilities, I stated that taxation is theft, which it is. To counter that you have only been able to state loudly that taxation is the way it has always been. And in that your argument is as impoverished as the argument of those who claimed that society would collapse is slavery were abolished.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Just because something has been published that suits your weird ideas doesn't make it viable either.

Fine. Then as I said move to a country that supports your ideals. If you can find one, of course. You're constantly on about how much you travel and how much you hate the UK so what's stopping you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a considerable body of libertarian politics and libertarianism is a tradition founded and established in Great Britain. If you are ignorant of your own heritage or wish to ignore it and adopt some failed East European philosophy, don't blame me.

Did you mean that to sound as petulant and childish as it does?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Don't you think it childish talking about taxation being theft? And I notice you haven't given an example of one country which doesn't have taxation. Of course this probably just means that you think the all the world wrong, and you right.

BTW, you constantly remind us of just how well off you are. But object to paying your way in the country that made this possible. So it's not unreasonable to say 'piss off' to somewhere else that suits you better. Or, of course, try and change this country by the usual means. I can certainly see similarities between you and Kilroy-Silk.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, I do however find someone who can't even think about the concept without having to descend into personal abuse more than a tad childish.

"Eat shit millions of flies can't be wrong."

I can't think of a country that doesn't have thieves, can you?

Really, when do I do that?

I don't object to paying my way, I object to someone putting their hand in my pocket to pay for their pet project, while threatening me with jail if I don't hand over the money. I particularly object to a system in which those who earn higher wages don't just pay the extra taxation associated with that wage but also have to pay an even greater proportion of their wealth.

Switzerland?

It's entirely unreasonable. You are attempting to tell me that if I don't agree with you that I should shut up. You're trying all sorts of childish tactics to achieve this aim, but the one thing that you are studiously avoiding is having to think about the issue.

Here's a clue.

I take some money out of your wallet. Is this theft? I demand that you hand over money or I will lock you up. Is this theft?

Simple answer yes, in both instances it is theft.

Now I take money out of your wallet and give it someone else. Is this theft?

Again, yes it is theft.

I take the same money and I give it someone I think deserves it more than you. Is this theft?

Again, yes it is still theft.

Is there any combination by which I can take money from you, without you permission, and it is anything other than theft?

No.

Does the end use to which I will put the money change the nature of what I have done?

No.

Get the picture?

It doesn't matter how the government takes that money or how they spend that money, what they do is theft.

I know you don't like to think of it as theft, but that doesn't change the act. It doesn't matter how one dresses it up, it is theft.

I'm quite happy to vote for a party that will declare that taxation is theft. Can you name such a party?

I can see some similarities between you and someone indulging in abuse rather than thinking about the issue.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Andorra Bahamas BVI Sark Monaco Norfolk Island Uruguay Vanuatu

Oh, and you're "why not f*ck off elsewhere" fails on the basis that even if I did that the UK taxman still has his claws into my income and property. No matter where one goes, Customs and Revenue follow you around.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Erm, just about all of the above have taxation, it's just not taxation as we know it.

In fact, Monaco, in particular, has *higher* rates of taxation than we do - their 'social insurance' rate, if you combine employer and employee contributions is somewhere around 50%.

Aside from that, and I can't be bothered looking up the tax paid in the other examples, as half of them don't have electricity, gas or running water, so are hardly comparable to the UK.

Reply to
SteveH

They all have taxation. Of one sort or another.

As I said you want to take all you can and give nothing. Best place for this would be an uninhabited desert island somewhere, since you obviously hate your fellow man.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this the same Steve Firth complaining about personal abuse?

Another 'quote'. But no original thought.

Good grief.

That's all rather different. You objected to taxation in principle calling all taxation theft. Now you seek to qualify that. Most will object to 'their' taxes being spent on things they don't personally approve of but only a moron would believe a country can be run with no taxation *at all*. So which category do you really fit into?

I'm afraid it's one of these issues that don't even merit a moment's thought. Like perpetual motion.

No. It's a flawed metaphor.

Theft means stealing unlawfully. And laws are made by a community.

That there isn't one should tell you something.

Perhaps you'd give us some answers on how it could work?

No? Exactly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Uh hum, there's only one of us showing any signs of hate in this 'debate'. And that's the one who apparently can't stand any point of view other than his own.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I certainly dislike those who make pithy statements like 'all taxation is theft' without understanding the meaning of the words. Let alone the implications.

And also dislike those who make a good living out of this country - and choose to live here - but want to change the very fabric that makes it a pleasant place to live for most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And who do you think fails to understand the words? I'd say from my PoV that you fail to even think about the process of taxation.

You seem to live in a fool's paradise where all taxation goes on worthy causes. It doesn't.

You can dislike who you like for whatever reason you like. But the right to change the fabric of this country is one that all citizens enjoy. You seem to be a sort of anti-Voltaire in that you not only disagree with what others say (and think) but you'll defend to the death your right to shut them up.

Reply to
Steve Firth

All taxation is theft? You don't understand the meaning of either taxation or theft, dear boy.

Where did I say that? Or even imply it?

You seem to live in a black and white world. Although I thought cloud cuckoo land would be colourful.

Quite. So tell us how you intend to do this. And your manifesto for a country without any taxes should be a good laugh.

In your case perhaps. Because despite the yards of print from you no indication of how you'd achieve your goal. Rather like a child who keeps on asking why but isn't old enough to understand an answer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you keep saying, but in doing so it's simply empty repetition of a falsehood. I've given you a reference for the concept, you couldn't be bothered to read it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Um. It might have a little bit of something to do with this?

ie, Gordon Brown deciding he's a little bit hard up and that he'd like to find some cash somewhere... That's a perfect example of more tax being bad for pensions, whether you're on a private pension or a state pension. Lots of people will be disinclined to save due to the massive pensions fuckup and result in an even heavier burden on the state in 30-50 years time.

Reply to
Doki

If those same pension companies who are incompetent cut the vast salaries to their executives etc there might be some justification in complaining about the tax on them.

The big snag with asking - or expecting - a tax benefit or exemption to any one particular group etc is that everyone else simply has to pay more in other areas.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)