OT: We have been officially banned from wearing shorts in the office...

even though the temperature goes over 30c on days like yesterday, becuase they are innapropriate clothing.

But I confirmed I can wear a kilt should I choose. "Yes, I have no problem at all with a Kilt, and member of staff can choose to wear a skirt or kilt".

So it is appropriate for a male member of staff to wear a skirt, but not shorts, in an over heated office, and very little if any direct customer facing encounters. Go figure. Don't you just love sex discrimination laws.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Call me pedantic, but a kilt is not a skirt!

Reply to
Halmyre

You know that, I know that. But try telling that to the female english office admin.

I'm trying to find a Gunn Ancient Tartan kilt, on Ebay. It would be alright if I just bought a "National Tartan" (never heard of that one), or a Royal Stewart (anyone can wear it). but I would rather buy the correct clan tartan for my Surname.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Get a bright pink one, take the piss in a big way.

In fact, just wear a skirt and say its your family colours, and if they get cocky, threaten to sue :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Small world! I'm entitled to wear Gunn - my Dad has Wilson ancestors, and there's a connection on my Mum's side too...

Bearing in mind the correct way of wearing the kilt, I don't think I'd like to wear a second-hand one...

Reply to
Halmyre

I'm a Robson. There is some Scottish connection too in our Fannily. Also, my Stepdad's mum was a Gunn too.

These are new cheap (not real wool) buy now ones.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Don't even think about it. Far warmer than trousers if a real one. Of course you could try a tartan mini skirt and see what they say...

BTW, bet the personnel office has air con...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Missus did offer to lend me one of her skirts.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

A decent kilt will cost a lot - even secondhand. Say about 250 quid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

*imagines Sleeker in a mini-skirt* *projectile vomits*
Reply to
REMUS

Actually, the Personal/admin office is our old office, with the steel shutters welded down for security.

When we had it, it had one openeable window/shutter and one closed end. Temperatures would reach 32-33. It had 12-15 blokes with at least one PC/Monitor each.

Now it only has 8 people in, all women. But the shutter/window that opened has been blocked off, by partitioning that part of the office off into sub office for the accounts director, and other one (no opening window) for the Office adminstrator/manager (she who complained).

So now the office is half the size, with 2/3rd the people and PCs, with less airflow, and temperatures upto 35, because the window at the welded shutter can be opened a little, but the sun heated shutter heats up the air like a radiator before it even gets into the window. there is now zero airflow and it is worse than ever. We who worked in there for 4 years warned them about prtitioning it like that, and blocking off the only opening window. We were ignored, and told it can't be that bad :)

If I was to go for medium or lightweight summer weight tartan rather than a full heavy winter weight, it should be OK. And wool is surprisingly good in the heat. It breathes well, and wickes moisture to the surface, so while you mighht be warm, it is controlled and you are dry.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

What does Phwoar tartan look like?

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Oh you can find cheaper than. I paid no more than =A330, ever, for hand tailored dinner suits. You just= =20 need to find the right places, at the right time.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

My dad found a plain black one, it looked pretty cool. Under certain lighting conditions you could see the weave.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I'll also add at this point that a good quality, proper, made to measure kilt costs a few quid more than most pairs of trousers.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Perhaps you have minging legs?!

;-)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Yes it is.

HTH

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Yup. I've a mate who's the keyboards player in the latest incarnation of the Bay City Rollers - only Les McKeown from the original lot. And they've started wearing black kilts on stage.

Look out for them somewhere near you shortly - on tour with David Cassidy David Essex and the Osmonds. A treat for your mum. Or even gran.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gets on my nerves when there's no real dress code for women, but blokes are expected to be in shirt, tie and trousers. It gets on my nerves even more when women wearing next to f*ck all complain that they're cold because the windows open...

Reply to
doki

Perhaps you *have* to open the window because they're wearing next to f*ck all?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)