Re: OT: Rant

"Carl Gibbs" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Exactly. I would have thought everything I needed to know would be on > the Apple website. Or is that too much to ask?

Yes.

"Don't buy this outdated s**te we're still trying to flog, we'll be launching the replacement next week"

Ever seen that on a vendor's website?

Reply to
Adrian

I tried to get iBsolete added to urban-dictionary.com def: The status of any apple device 30 seconds after you buy it from the apple store and the new/improved version is announced in your purchase confirmation email.

But they rejected it.

Reply to
Elder

This has been happening for decades with computers.

I remember getting something like a P120 about a week before the MMX kit hit the shelves.

Or there was the Amiga 500, which was 'soft launched' as a 500+ without telling anyone.

Shit happens, but, once again, it has become another crappy reason to have a dig at Apple products.

Reply to
SteveH

Do you expect all manufacturers to tell you not to buy their products this week because they're bringing out a new one in three to four weeks?

Reply to
Steve Firth

TBH if I were a manufacturer I wouldn't give a f*ck if you never bought my products ever again.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I bought a 60GB iPod Video. A month later Apple launched the 160GB Classic for just a few notes more. They're bastards, I want my money back.

Oh hang on, no I don't. I like my iPod. It works and does what I wanted it to do when I bought it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

There's no need for you Steve's to take it so personally though heh :-)

If we had a Steve G we'd have 3 in an alphabetical row :-)

Reply to
DanB

Guy in Debenhams told me not to buy a suit cos next week they were having a huge up to 30% off Blue Cross Sale next week. So I waited and my suit an bits was indeed £200ish instead of £300ish. I think it's because I was with a female mate (t'was at Uni) an she was smokin' hot, so he was being excessively nice. Still, you can't get these advantages on the internet :-(

Reply to
DanB

I'm not really taking it personally, but I am bemused about what it is about Apple that makes people think they should act differently to every other commercial company. I bought Windows XP a few days before Windows launched Vista. Should Microsoft have given me a free copy of Vista?

It even seems that in this case Apple would have allowed Carl to get a refund on the Nano and get a new one. But he'd chosen to have a sopp personal message engraved on it. So Apple were willing to go way beyond what any commercial company would normally do - by offering a refund on goods that works just fine simply because the customer had changed his mind.

Not only that, but if I understand his OP correctly, his GF was telling him about the features that she wanted in an iPod that were *only* available on the new model. So she knew a new iPod was on the cards and he went ahead and bought the wrong one.

Duh!

Perhaps Apple should have a special page for Carl entitled "This is the iPod your girlfriend wants!"

Anyway, iPod nano - for people who can't afford an iPod.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Haha! I bemused you with my alphabetical theory and you could not reply! Something to hide, you know of a Steve G on here lurking and you don't want it known? Is that it, do you fear the alphabetical truth outing?

Reply to
DanB

And were there big signs up saying "Don't buy a suit this week"?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Steve Firth

No, he just told me, but I did say "You can't get these advantages over the internet" and actually they put up signs advertising it the next day, which was Wednesday, for the following Wednesday. But I'd have taken it back and said I didn't like it when I got home had he not told me and I'd seen those posters the next day :-) I know, that's naughty, but I wouldn't have felt that bad really.

Reply to
DanB

Of course not, he's the less able brother of Kenny and Ali.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, if someone had decided to go to a shop and buy his iPod there might have been a different story. John Lewis sell them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Plenty of commercial companies offer refunds if you change your mind. You dont get out much do you?

You dont understand the OP properly.

So Duh back to you.

"Coming soon - 4th gen Nano" would have been sufficient thanks.

Wow, so very mature. I could quite easily afford one thanks. I decided not to because it's not what i wanted.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

So do Apple, under more generous terms than most of those other companies.

Enough to know that a new iPod range was imminent at least six weeks ago.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The joys of being busy at work and also studying at college - time is precious. And if I can do something online in 5 minutes that would take an hour journey into the city then it's not a difficult choice. Plus John Lewis wouldn't have engraved it, although in hindsight that wouldn't have been such a bad thing.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Lies! You've locked him away in a basement, half way between your place, and H's, and he has access to Usenet, but no keyboard, and you've removed the features for on screen keyboard so he can lurk put cannot post! Because you know what will happen if we have a 3 letter alphabetical alignment of second names.... As does H, so you and he are the only two who hold keys, and take it in turns to drop off shopping every two weeks. Although he prefers it when you drop off Waitrose and M&S shopping whereas H just brings it from some of the places he visits with work - so he always gets different things. He does at least have a small multi gym so he can exercise, and a nice window for sunlight along with a fresh water spring and kettle. So he has no desire to escape anyway, as his WoW only PC has one of them special keyboards for WoW, and you've made sure if he tries to connect it to the Usenet lurking machine, he will permanently lose his WoW account and ability to play... Which to him, is a fate worse than death...

Reply to
DanB

They feeding you some powerful stuff these days then? :-)

Reply to
Clive George