RIP Saab

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Since the only difference between an LPT and FPT "proper" Saab is whether or not a boost gauge, the APC boost management electronics and an intercooler are fitted - and all are easy to retro-fit - it's a slightly different kettle of fish to a couple of cylinders being missed off...

But at least we never got either the 1.6 or diesel 75s the continent was inflicted with.

Reply to
Adrian

On the later ones, I think it is even less than that. I think it is just the electronics. Flash map and FPT in an instant.

Reply to
Elder

This is a point completely wasted on SteveH though. I made it much earlier that it's an easily tunable engine. This is the modifications group too.

Quite by happy coincidence, the only difference between the 1.8t and the

2.0t in the 9-3 SS *is* the ECU coding. The 1.8t produces 0.35 bar of boost, 150 bhp / 177 lbsft, the 2.0t with its 0.5 bar of boost, 175 bhp / 195 lbsft. The 2.0T (210 bhp, 221 lbsft) uses a different turbocharger, different camshafts and needs 98 RON for the power. I forget the boost, it's somewhere wround 0.8 bar as I remember.

Chipping either the 1.8t or 2.0t results in ~200 bhp and ~230 lbsft on 98 RON.

Anyway the long and short of the above was that I picked the car on specification, colour and condition, rather than worry about the engine, as if I wanted 200 bhp, it would at worst be an ECU upgrade.

Reply to
DervMan

You appear to be talking bollocks. Around here you won't find a clean and tidy Ka with an asking price of less than a grand. That's because they're

*very* thin on the ground - most have started rusting very badly, the interiors don't wear very well etc.
Reply to
Doki

On behalf of the Primera: Oi! I think you'll find that it is indeed a devastatingly fast chip-seeking missile...

Reply to
albert_t_cone

I can honestly say I'm impressed by its ability to nearly keep up with my luxo-barge (though I don't think it had the grunt out of corners) and make PeteM have to work a bit to keep up with you.

Wonder how long it would take being driven like that though... In an endurance race I reckon you'd have been last...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh. Yeah, it does nothing much below 4krpm, so if you don't predict your gears perfectly it's easy to be caught off-the-boil. Still, a few people have been surprised by it over the time I've had it!

You may be right - I really don't know. I bought it as a cheap dog-carrier and tip-run special, expecting it to last perhaps six months, and have ragged it everywhere pretty mercilessly[1]. Two years later nothing has gone wrong, except a rusty brake pipe.

[1]Well, perhaps not quite as mercilessly as on a Wetwang run.[2] [2]although, to be fair, the temperature gauge didn't budge during that and the tank-tank economy was still 34mpg[3]. [3]It's *always* 34mpg, regardless of how I drive; a perfect license to drive like a loon, then...
Reply to
albert_t_cone