RIP Saab

I had 2x2CVs and one Visa with the hugely powerful 652cc engine. I loved them all. My wife hated them, she couldn't get the hang of the 2CV gear change and she burnt out the Visa clutch because she really couldn't get the hang of doing hill starts with such a puny engine.

Dunno what she'd have done with the original 9bhp engine.

I'd have another Visa for use on the farm. It was the epitome of throw crap in the back, haul it around, motoring.

Reply to
Steve Firth

were

I've had 4 x 2CVs not including the couple my parents had when I was a kid. I'm still kicking myself for selling the last one - I got it given off a woman I used to work with. No longer had any use for it, thought it was worthless and wanted it to go to a good home. Roof was shot, but otherwise it had been dry stored for years and was mint. Needed a crossbox for the MOT and I replaced the roof. Fast forward a few months, and some young blonde with large breasts pulled me OVER in the petrol station in West Wycombe. She was with her mum on her way to Surrey to buy one. Liked mine more, gave me =A3800 cash for it there and then. Little did I know she had no licence, and crashed it a week later on their farm, making a real mess of it. They called me, asked if I wanted it back for nowt/spares. Managed to drive it home very bent, stripped it and made another =A3600 on fleabay selling the parts. Most of them went to a guy who I met at South Mimms who had a gorgeous blue DS. What did I use to take them to him? A Saab 900 hatch.. :-)

I had a bright orange 652cc Visa that I also got given. Engine seized in that. Nice car while it worked though.

Reply to
Mike P

Spin may fix the image but it needs continuous fixing if the product isn't right.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Mine was the muddly blue-green colour. I fitted a solenoid to the fuel line to cutoff the fuel on the over run. It managed to get something silly to the gallon. I don't think I had such an economical car again until I got a BX TZD turbo. That used to do Essex to M/Cr and back on a single tank. The Mondeo ST-TDCi that I had for a time as a company hack did better, but not much better.

Reply to
Steve Firth

%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Mine was white.

I paid £30 for it, drove it home from St Ives (Cambs) to Amershamish on the Saturday, and by the Monday lunchtime it was waiting for the scrapman to remove the shell.

The 652 out of the twin-pot Wheezer went into the 4x4 2cv. It'd do

50-55mph flat and 17mpg - which, with an 18 litre tank, gave a range of _just_ about Amersham-Cheltenham. One way.
Reply to
Adrian

LOL!

I remember when Compaq shortened the warranty on their iPaq PDAs. I think it went from 12 months to 6, to 3 at one point. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Once upon a time, they were fun in a small Fiat (harsh ride, rolly-poly, raised rear wheel if you braked and turned in). Then they became rubbery. Then they inherited some Corsa DNA.

Reply to
DervMan

Speaking of which, and you slate the Lexus' interior, have you seen the Alfa Romeo 75's interior recently?

I mean, eww, c'mon..?

Reply to
DervMan

Devastatingly quick.

Reply to
DervMan

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

And what, exactly, is wrong with a U-shaped handbrake and electric window switches in the roof lining...?

As for the dash - well, a picture says a thousand words. Nowt wrong with this...

Adrian

Except the B207 was nicked from Saab for the Astra et al.

Yeuch.

Reply to
DervMan

Surprisingly different in character. One is smooth riding and understeery. The other is firm - much firmer - and understeers less.

I bought the one less suitable for my everyday driving. ;-)

Reply to
DervMan

Why do people use that stick on 'wood' tat....

It's fine in an 80s slab-sided kind of a way. A bit like the rest of it, really.

The original IS200 interior just screams 'trying too hard', IMHO.

Reply to
SteveH

That's because any car with a 12 month ticket is worth 500 quid....

Reply to
SteveH

I believe it's a turbo 'Ecotec'....

Reply to
SteveH

On Fri, 01 May 2009 19:36:02 +0100, DervMan miaowed:

That's cos they were totally shit. They still are IMO. I've just spent a week rolling new iPaq 914s out..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Let's be brutally honest, Steve...

The 75's interior is an utter mess. It was horrible hard plastic, with edges you could cut yourself on, thrown together badly. The ergonomics had been done by a blind lunatic after a long, hard drinking session.

But, gawd, I enjoyed mine.

Reply to
Adrian

Funny how you're putting thoughts and words into my posts again. "Better" you say? "Different" you say. Nah. Just what I like. I'd have bought a Mondeo or Vectra equally as happily. I like Fords, but not to the point where I *have* to buy one.

Have you driven the 500 and then the Ka, then back to the 500, over the same stretch of road?

Or a Vectra, then the 9-3 (both eras), back to back?

Or are you just recycling stuff you've read, even though you disagree with reviews?

Ford, General Motors, Chrysler - have been disappearing for a lot longer than the media would have us believe.

As Albert has pointed out, Fiat have avoided disappearing because of a hefty donation from General Motors combined with more fraud than one can shake a stick at.

And their stuff is generally cheap. Post-recession, Fiat's sales drop off. You couldn't give Puntos away in 2004*. Look at the bigger stuff that's heralded as a new beginning, but is then dropped from sale in the UK after a very short space of time.

Anyway, you're looking forward to a Toyota. A hybrid at that.

*Actually it may have been 2003, but whatever, I wasn't gonna buy a diesel Punto, regardless of the claims.
Reply to
DervMan

Revenue is not the same thing, though...

Reply to
DervMan

Pot, kettle, black.

Or.

Glasshouses.

Take your pick, 'cos your number appears to be on both of 'em.

Reply to
DervMan