RIP Saab

Whoah - nobody said anything about cross-country missiles here.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

That's partially why I bought the Grandis instead of a Galaxy/S-Max. What they wanted for one with leather seats was silly, even with the pitiful discounts they were offering. 'The recession doesn't seem to have hit us here at Jennings!' Hmm...

That and the Grandis has a bigger boot with the rear seats in use...

Reply to
Abo

Say if it had a sunroof, one could launch surface to air missiles too. Have your pie and eat it too! ;)

Reply to
DervMan

That's looking reasonable. Have they sorted out the electricals? My mother's '04 Punto has been into the dealer's loads to get warning lights reset, ever since she bought it lol.

Reply to
Abo

But Steve, you've told me enough times, a work car doesn't have to be exciting. You've proved that by finding a focus TDi too much of a handful, and wanting to swap it for a Pious.

Reply to
carl.robson

I've had 3 if you include the 9000 Aero that was just getting too unreliable, in the space of a year, spent =A3300 more than cost to buy just repairing it, and that didn't include any MOT work it needed because it hadn't got that far yet.

Reply to
carl.robson

I would rather it was a Golf (or maybe Passat) than a Vectra/Astra/ Corsa. As they never leave the platform alone, it would handle, brake and drive better than any golf.

Reply to
carl.robson

I would rather it was a Golf (or maybe Passat) than a Vectra/Astra/ Corsa. As they never leave the platform alone, it would handle, brake and drive better than any golf.

++

It makes no little difference to me, I'm more concerned with the badge than the components.

Reply to
DervMan

Yeah but you only get to play with Volvo engines and it isn't even a proper red top.

Reply to
carl.robson

I last workd on them about the time that "Independence Day" came out. The joke was that when the US Tomcats are heading for the "shield" and shouting frantically "pull up, pull up" that in the Jaguar pulling up wouldn't achieve anything.

As I mentioned Jag pilots were always the butt of the Tornado pilots jokes. We had a few of everything where I worked including some Hunters. The pilots reckoned the Hunter was a much better plane than the Jaguar.

Reply to
Steve Firth

F-18s... but I know what you mean. :)

Or the Buccaneer...

Reply to
DervMan

Thanks, my ability to recognise aircraft is s**te. At an open day at work my wife asked me which aircraft I was working on at the time. It was a Tornado, I knew that much, so I pointed at one and said "that one" my boss was behind me at the time. He coughed and said "Steve, that's a Jaguar".

Ooh yes, I worked on one of those at the time as well. Sadly that aircraft is now an engineless static display[1]. The Comet and the two Hunters are also museum pieces. The Comet I'm very angry about. It was a research aircraft built especially for its role with many unique modifications. The museum that has it has converted it to Dan Air livery, it never did a day in commercial service.

[1] Nothing I did. honest.
Reply to
Steve Firth

LOL! I used to be buff at it. I remember scoring 100% in the Royal Navy Admiral Interview Board's military hardware identification score (pity about everything else, heh).

Gate guards...

On the other hand, it is good to be able to show Charlie former Queens of the Skies.

Reply to
DervMan

"ooh, look at _her_ missiles"

Reply to
Clive George

Not even that in this case. It's now a piece of corporate "puff" located outside the admin offices staffed by people who never worked on it, at a location that's miles away from where it was in service.

Steve Firth

The place where I worked had a Lightning. "Ooh look at _her_ belly tank!"

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's not your work car.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

No, it wouldn't.

They'd end up sharing bits with Skoda. So your new 9-3 would be an Octavia with a Saab badge on the front and an Audi-proportion price tag.

Reply to
SteveH

... which has to be better than being flogged off for scrap value?

Reply to
Paul - xxx

The Skoda, Audi and Golf all share bits anyway. Like it matters.

(Unless you worry about badge snobbery)

Reply to
Pete M