RS Turbo engine...Messy

Spent All day yeswterday stripping a S2 RST engine/box/loom etc out of an orion Ghia. We're building (between a few of us) a Mk1 Fiesta Turbo.

Off to the scrappers we went tooled up and started strippuing the engine. We got half the crap out of the way (rad intercooler takns servo's etc) only to find that the block has, at some point, had the block crakced quite severely and be WELDED back up again :o)

Great. So we got the bloke at the scrappers down to 100 quid for the lot... (engine turbo gearbox loom the whole works).

I stripped the head off the engine and the whole top end seems sound, got a spare block at home so we decided to take it anyway, Also pinched the downpipe and some half shagged morettes for good measure, and a new wing mirror glass for the bimmer and went home.

Got back and my mate started to strip the engine while i sorted the wiring loom into some kind of sensible order had a quick shufty around the ECU....didnt look quite right.

Stripped the cae off the ECU and it's been chipped :o)

all in all a good day but can you beleive...for the sake of 65 quid for a new block...someones welded a block back together again and fitted the engine in a car :o|

wonder how long some kid has ben booting an explosion waiting to happen about :o(

Mason

Reply to
Mason

orion Ghia. We're

got half the crap

has, at some point,

(engine turbo gearbox

spare block at home so

morettes for good

loom into some kind of

block...someones

welded it together! i'm no genius but even to me that seems a bit bloody dangerous :)

Reply to
Vamp

It is possible to weld up a cracked block if you know what you're doing. Obviously if its been done by a monkey with a mig then you're asking for trouble!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Could not have been welded too badly - still was working!

Watch the clearence between the radiator and turbo, the fiesta turbos use a T2 for this reason!

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

I still wouldnt trust it an arch welder can weaken and distort the block. I suppose it depends on how big the crack is tho.

Reply to
REMUS

hmm i thought every RST owner has a spare bottom end sitting :)

me and every other person i know who's owned a cvh turbo has always had and needed that spare bottom end :)

Reply to
Rob

all the way accross just under the fannymold.

I can see that it's possible to weld a block...but on a Turbo?

asking for trouble IMO.

Reply to
Mason

You surmise this from the fact it was in a scrap yard with a welded block?

For all we know it hasnt worked for years. It's getting rebuilt so it's no matter.

Reply to
Mason