The German server is playing up.

I'm getting a whole bunch of missing messages coming up in recent threads.

Reply to
Elder

Must be you. Seems fine here.

Reply to
Conor

They were having issues yesterday, but it should all be resolved now.

Reply to
SteveH

Probably explains the missing posts. Random chunks showing up missing, headers downloaded but no posts. Seems most of them were headers I downloaded yesterday, but didn't get round to reading.

Reply to
Elder

Same here. All seems to be fine again now.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

It effected everyone on news.individual.net - there was a message on their home page explaining the problems. You might not be able to tell though if you didn't log on Sunday night/Monday morning to get all the headers of the dropped posts, which have no doubt now been removed as well. For exmaple, that "Smell the desperation" thread is meant to have like 100 more posts full of penis pride, bullshit and bravado hehe :-)

Reply to
DanB

Damn, I was enjoying reading that thread :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

That was where I noticed it worse.

Reply to
Elder

I looked at it on Demon's own news servers. I don't really understand why I'm not just using their news servers anyway heh. They seem a bit crap at cutting spam out though, and the German server is very, very reliable normally, having a few hours of outage during maintenance isn't the end of the world for the like, pennies it costs. It's faster than the Demon one as well.

Reply to
DanB

And I'm regretting ever starting it.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

hey what is it all about?

i am unable to understand entire thread. do let me know that what is it all about.

Reply to
shonewillym

That's probably because you have the IQ of a whelk. And you're posting through the services of a dumb-ass "portal" leaching off Usenet in order to pump advertising to people too thick to configure a newsreader.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Use multiple servers for feeds so that you don't miss posts.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Can you do that in Soup? - if so, how?

Reply to
SteveH

Run your own inn server, and use newsx to grab a feed from (say) gradwell's pubnews, as well as the german server. With an EeeBox or other similar Atom based server running Ubuntu it only takes about 10 watts to run a news/mail server.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Far too much hassle.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, agree with that. Though I'd take the same view on paying for the german server in the first place. I've always used my ISP's news server and haven't had any problems in years.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

You haven't knowingly had problems, you mean ;-)

The Krauts also filter out all the s**te and spam for you, and you can also use the server even if you're not connected via your own ISP.

Reply to
SteveH

"Hassle"?

It takes about 15 minutes start to end to do it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, yes, fair enough. My posts always appear within 30 seconds, people's replies seem to come through quickly enough, and it's been years since I've had stupid amounts of duplicate posts.

I see very little s**te and spam this end, and I use my own manual filter (don't click on it) for the rest. Fair does for doing usenet on the move - something I've never been all that bothered by - though don't mobile broadband providers have news servers?

Reply to
AstraVanMann