Thinking about a change..

it's only a low boost kit giving an extra 40bhp

Reply to
Vamp

what colour? any pics?

Reply to
Vamp

It is /still/ way too cheap if it's new bits. And even on low-boost kits like the 6psi supercharger I have for mine, you'll need at least an AFPR. The used s/c kit alone cost me around a grand (going rate for them, but they're more expensive new than the basic turbo kit) and none of the half-decent kits is at 1500 quid new.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

He's pissed off with rust. 99Ts are either way out of his budget or utterly rotten.

Reply to
Adrian

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's the Saab Owner's Club, but it seems to have... issues... I've not bothered. There's a couple of very good forums, though, particularly SaabCentral.

Reply to
Adrian

here's there link, what you think?

Vamp

That is very cheap for a Greddy kit (but it's a special offer, they're normally a lot more expensive). That would be tempting if you can still secure one for that price as they're unlikely to get any cheaper.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Like you wouldn't believe. I reckon moving on a generation of motor will solve that as they started to get anti-corrosion right in the mid

80's.
Reply to
Conor

Aha! I just noticed that this kit is so basic it doesn't even include an intercooler. That's not good - you can get away with that on a supercharger but not really on a turbo as the turbo heats up the air more thanks to the heat transfer from the 'other' side.

Having sat in both turbo'd and s/c'd cars, I'd recommend that you keep an eye out for a used s/c kit. Somewhat less max power capability, but the 'big engine' feel is (to me) much nicer than the turbo. Mind ewe, for big-ish power you want a turbo.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Red (slightly faded, naturally), later spec wheels with recent tyres, working AC, will have 12 months MOT. No photos right now.

Reply to
Pete M

Find a 205 with a Mi16 1.9 16v conversion - that'd be a riiiiight giggle :-)

Reply to
DanB

Apparently the 2.0 turbos from the 406/Xantia/XM are a popular choice too - not quite as special as the Mi16 but a good second choice - and probably a bit tuneable too.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

ISTR they're very much a lo-blow setup, with only 150bhp standard, and they don't respond well to winding the boost up without uprating a good few other things. Ecosse do a 200bhp conversion on it though I think, well, they used to heh, not sure if they still do.

Reply to
DanB

hmm it's a tough one i do like the kick in the back from a turbo though, both tend to give the car a nice burble

Reply to
Vamp

"AstraVanMann" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The engine from the Turbo XM I broke (ex-RichardK) went to a guy to put in a 306...

150bhp out the box, but a big thick flat torque curve. Nice motor.
Reply to
Adrian

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not really - the boost is a decent max, but it's very carefully managed to cope with the relatively high compression - it's intended to give plenty of torque - which it does.

Reply to
Adrian

Would I even fit in one? LOL.

Reply to
Conor

And it does really well. Best petrol engine - easily - in the Xantia or

406. In my opinion. I do have a soft spot for low pressure turbos and I did look for a 406 with the 2.0t but in the end bought the Saab with the modern equivalent of the LPT.

Mind you, the Saab B207E / B207L* do tune to ~200 bhp with an ECU change.

*shhhessssh that sounds geeky.
Reply to
DervMan