Transferring data

Have any of you lot got any bright ideas on how to get data off a load of old IDE hard drives and onto my new PC (SATA only)?

Reply to
Doki

External USB caddy or get an internal SATA - PATA (IDE) converter.

Reply to
SteveH

Internal convertor sounds the way to go.

Reply to
Doki

External caddy is cheap and works well - and means you can use it as a backup device afterwards.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Aye. I suppose that would be one way of doing things. I seem to have old IDE disks coming out of my ears.

Reply to
Doki

And unless you want the extra capacity of another hard drive in your new m/c, it's probably the easiest way to transfer the data. External USB 3 1/2" HD caddies can be bought for less than £10.

I seem to have old IDE

You and me both. I must have near a dozen IDE drives. Ranging from 540Mb up to about 80Gb. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Where? They seem to be around £15 a pop on aria, if you want something like an Akasa (ie, heard of before).

Reply to
Doki

£7.19 inc VAT. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've not had problems with my no-brand 3.5" caddies.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Why would you needed a branded one? All it has to do is let you copy stuff off. Just go on Ebay and buy the cheapest one. I've had my no-name one for about 4 years now. It works fine still.

Reply to
DanB

If you've still got your old PC you could network them together.

Reply to
Homer

Actually are you sure it's SATA only? A lot of new Mobos seem to have a single IDE plug on them, presumably for this kind of eventuality.

Reply to
DanB

I'm typing this before reading all the other replies (catching up after having only recently got back from seeing Bill Bailey at the Eden Project last night), but a USB2 drive caddy wouldn't be a bad way to go. An even better way to go would be a combined USB2/eSATA caddy, along with an eSATA card. Even more of a bonus if the new PC's already got an eSATA port.

Even better still would be a caddy that combines eSATA, USB2 and Firewire800 (or 400, for that matter).

Reply to
AstraVanMann