Would a 406 coupe HDi be a more sensible than most of my other whims?

again, I tried all the 406 2.2 coupe versions and it all came out the same. £300 2009 rising to £310 in 2010.

Reply to
Elder

(looks again)

You do realise that the 2d next to the 2.2 doesn't refer to diesel, but the number of doors? Look a bit further down the list for the ones marked HDi.

Actually I was wrong - 170 quid this year, 175 next, 180 in 2010.

Reply to
Clive George

Ah liveable. I assumed all the 2.2 engines were diesel, not 2d as in diesel but 2 door.

Which is the better engine then? VAG 1.9 130 or 2.2 HDi?

Which is better built, stronger suspension etc?

Reply to
Elder

Ouch, WTF is going on with the Saab? The 1.9 is the diesel, yes?

Reply to
Abo

VAG 1.9TDI is the least complex and least likely to break.

Same goes for the car surrounding it, really.

Superb 1.9TDI-130 is your best option, even base spec. cars come with Climatronic and Gamma audio, ISTR.

Reply to
SteveH

I'd have said VAG all day long. I was very disappointed to hear that the knackered crankshaft pulley on my 2.2HDI in my old Relay van was a common problem with that engine, and generally I'd have a lot more confidence in VAG stuff generally. Parts prices are likely to be less ridiculous as well, I reckon.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Probably the VAG. But I'd have the 406 coz it looks really nice.

Reply to
Clive George

See that is why I asked the killer question. The 406 coupe does look sexy for a french car. Sexy for a lot of cars. I know older Pug diesel engines are known to be bullet proof, but know nothing of the HDi, and while the VAG engines are well used and popular I've heard of some turbo problems arround 60-100k.

I liked the Octavia petrol, but didn't love it and yes I moaned it sucked the life out of me but that was the boredom of the low power motor. I couldn't fault the car reliability. It seemed to spin the wheels all the time, but have no higher end power and seemed very noisy doing it.

Diesels are a whole new thing for me. Yes they rattle low down, but should be quieter once moving.

Reply to
Elder

French design, French electrics and Italian built. What could *possibly* go wrong? ;-)

VAG turbo failures appear to be restricted to newer cars - B6 Passats are particularly prone to it. But turbos aren't stupidly expensive to replace - unlike high pressure pumps on common rail diesels....

Reply to
SteveH

Yes. Skoda 1.9 diesel £120 a year 130bhp Saab 1.9 diesel (JTD engine) 150bhp I think £260.

And while I reckon the Saab is a prettier car, that isn't worth the difference a year in tax.

Reply to
Elder

Well at least it didn't have Italian electrics with British components. :) Joseph Lucas prince of darkness.

Like the 170 CR in the new Octavia Vrs then. Doh.

Reply to
Elder

French electrics with German components is worse, though....

Yes, but you're not looking at spending that kind of money, are you?

Anything you get will be PD if you're looking at VAG products.

Reply to
SteveH

Well, things might have taken a turn for the good. A family member with some savings has offered to loan me what is needed, because they've used their ISA allowance up and it is just sitting in their normal savings account. "You might as well use it as long as we get it back before we retire". They just want us to set up a monthly transfer from our current to my or Alisons ISA until the ammount is built up, or a seperate savings account. Then pay them a lump sum. They made no mention of the interest, but it would be only fair to give them that too for their generosity. It won't have cost me anything to give it to them. So as long as Alisons job is safe, or she gets something better outside of where she is now, that is what I'll do.

Reply to
Elder

Possibly even pre-PD but that is the 90 or 110 BHP.

Reply to
Elder

The 90 is *very* economical, and not that slow either in the Mk4 Golf.

My B5 Passat was a 110 - that was pretty good on fuel as well, and went alright all things considered.

I'd not discovered tuning boxes by then. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Without googling, are you *sure* the 150bhp manual JTD is that high? It's deffo band D manual in the Vectra, and £260 for the auto, I brought up a table a couple of days ago since my tax runs out at the end of the month; the table showed the 2008 and 2009 costs.

Feck it, lets have a look (from April 2009):

Vectra Elite 150PS 1.9 CDTi Manual: Band G, £150 Vectra Elite 150PS 1.9 CDTi Auto: Band J, £260 Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 150PS 1.9TiD Manual: Band G, £150 Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 150PS 1.9TiD Auto: Band I, £205

Looks like we're both wrong? Wonder why the two autos are different?

Reply to
Abo

My old Audi 80 had something like 140-150k on it when it killed a Fiesta and the insurance company wrote it off. Anyway, it ran like new and at MOT time the tester couldn't believe how clean it ran. Emissions were squeaky clean. My maintenance regime consisted of driving it like a bank robber all day every day.

I know a VAG TDI engine is Joe Normal's default choice these days and is such a boring choice, but the great unwashed have bought them in there millions for very obvious reasons. They don't rape your wallet just getting you to work and back and tend to run forever. In addition, overtaking tends to amount to "ensure revs are greater than 1900rpm, disregard gear engaged - it doesn't matter, extend right toe. Job done."

What's not to like - a VAG diesel is the motoring equivalent of a fixed rate mortgage. Maybe safer than the other options which might give you a bit more excitement or might save you a bit of cash, but if you want the solution most likely to see you through until the sun is shining a bit brighter in the sky, you get a hold of a VAG TDI and relax a bit.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

...no it isn't.

Not in mapped form, anyway, or at least the 130 isn't if mine is anything to go by.

Reply to
JackH

French Junk.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I didn't say it's not torquey.

What I actually meant was that everybody's got one - which is arguably a bit boring.

Otherwise, I was - I believe - 'bigging them up' so to speak.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle