Would a 406 coupe HDi be a more sensible than most of my other whims?

I can say that the Fabia never felt flat at any revs. The 130 is a cracker. I meant to get it mapped, but neccesity has forced me to a 140 DSG Leon.

The 2.0 TDI isn't as brutal with the torque peak, but still goes well.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

No, having been in one nailed up the main big hill near here, they're not that.

However, the Passat is a fair bit heavier than a vRS, so this has a bit of an impact on the comparable 'in gear' times.

Ho yuss.

Nothing to stop you getting that mapped, though. :-)

See above. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Good call :-) There's many a time we've all used the bank of Grandad here for loans. And then usually if it's like, a couple of grand, you can't make him take it back heh! You try transfer it and he just smiles when you ask for his details, then you try give him it in a cash or cheque, and he just leaves it here when he goes home heh!

Reply to
DanB

vRS?

In which case, would you again?

The chappy selling the 306 was looking to buy a Golf TDI for up to £7k.

Went and saw the chap I got the Passat from today and asked him if he had anything coming in along those lines, and we're going to look at an 05 Fabia vRS with 23k genuine miles, full history and one private owner from new that he's got coming in on Thursday.

£5995, which even given the current sinking of values, I reckon is a good deal - the What Car site, which appears to be a bit more aware of the current sinking values, seems to reckon its worth around £6600 if bought from a dealer.

I've had a Fabia myself, so know all about leaky window mechs etc. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

There is also a pretty crap 2.2 Petrol. You need to find the diesel, try a

2003 one :-)
Reply to
DanB

I'd do that too :-)

Reply to
DanB

Heh, dude stop having crazy ass ideas of what's not that slow! I had a

90bhp, 1.6 8v 405 that weighed 1000kg, and it was bloody slow! Last week the Diesel Clio, now a 90bhp Golf! [1] Get a grip man and find your fun side again, the diesel fumes are killing your spirit and soul!

There now. Isn't that better?

[1] I heard on UKRM that the SDi is the weapon of choice - quite fast, and also, it's rare that it suffers from coil failures... With the coils... In it's 1.9 N/A Diesel engine... ;-)
Reply to
DanB

Bloody hell dude, you've had that like 50 years! How long was the finance over? A life term or something :-p ?

Reply to
DanB

What's a Mk1 L&K 130 Manual? Is that a Skoda Rapide thingy again?

Reply to
DanB

That'll be two years, which maybe is a lifetime I guess.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Good lord is that really all? How slowly time doesn't fly in here eh?

:-)

Reply to
DanB

Actually, that's not strictly true - its 28 months now I think of it. It had 60,000 miles on it when I got it. It now has just under 110,000 on it. When I have officially 'finished' with it, it will have around 145,000 on it at least. At that point, we'll have been through a lot together.

Don't really know what I should do with it at that point.

I should still have the Sylva around and I really want to build a sports racing car as well. Much along the lines of the Rotor that His Lordship was involved in the building of.

The problem will be space for keeping it all. And I will probably be sufficiently fed up with the Golf that I'll want something else for daily duties.

Oh, and I was offered a 1967 MGB GT in red yesterday for £1000 - the bloke always has nice but cheap stuff around.

Ideally, I would be able to find dry garage space to keep all of the ones I grew attached to then just have the 'project' car in the shed.

Incidentally, SWMBO has had here Ibiza since March 2002. Six and a half years with the one car. It's just gone over 50,000 miles.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Without a doubt. Quickish, economical, handles OK, good value, enough room. I'd still have it but my back/left leg gives me trouble in traffic, so I've gone DSG.

If they'd done the same thing with a DSG now, I'd have it. Of course the closest is the new Ibiza, but that's not out yet. Ended up with a Leon.

I found Golfs just hold value too much. One I looked at had 30k more miles, was older, was in a not-very-attractive colour, and had a few minor blemishes, but was a clear £700 more than the Leon. That was at a VW Stealer though.

That sounds like a good deal. I was after 6k for my 05 with 43k, which on balance was maybe optimistic- but less than Glass's suggested. In the end it got P/X'd (ouch!). It was the wrong time to sell it- I bought it from a dealer with 12k miles on and 14 months old, so I had a fair depreciation hit. Like I said, I wasn't planning to change it, but a few rough commutes and trips into the city centre for work convinced me.

Good. I'll point you at

anyway- there's a good FAQ in the Fabia bit, and tell you one vRS specific- the paint peels where the front bumper/splitter joins. The rear brakes are noisy at low speed too, but no problems. Besides routine maintenance and pricey tyres ('premium' brands are 80-100 a corner), I've had one vent break (fixed under warranty). No mechanical issues at all, 42-50mpg, and a great big grin whenever the traffic clears. The PD engine is a bit noisy at low speed, but at on the motorway it's fairly quiet.

The seats are a little soft compared to VW/Audi/Seat, and of course a stupid light grey/black combination that needs care to keep clean.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

True, but I guess his point was that the 110 in the A3 (a fair wedge heavier than the Ibiza) was still better on fuel, despite the extra weight. Having said that, you've got a good point, 'cos aerodynamics might be a bit better on the A3.

BTW, I briefly had a 90bhp Ibiza TDI, and was bloody impressed with it. Felt very perky for something with so relatively little power, and would happily pull from 1200 or so rpm in top gear on the motorway (around

35-40mph or so).
Reply to
AstraVanMann

Anyone know if the DSG will explode into a expensive array of mechatronics? ;-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

SWBBO has a Mini, loves it to bits.

She is not interested the slightest in other cars. She maybe drive or participate in trackdays but only in a Mini but not hers: you would dare to hurt it, now would ya? (If somebody would hurt hers, I dearly pity the guy)

Bentley's? Too big, who would want such a lot of iron? A Ferrari? Too red, people would take notice. A BMW 1? Here's a slight hesitation but a Mini is surely much nicer.

Sometimes I bang my head against a wall: every time I think a Mini Clubman would suit me fine.

Women : you can't understand them, I have given up long ago. I like her however... far too much for my own well-being. Such is life.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

SDi ? Quite fast ? Same sentence ?

As in the VAG 1.9SDI?

Bwahahahahaha!

I had a Seat Inca van once, with that engine in. In fairness, they're not a terrible engine if used 100% around town, as they've actually got what feels like a more linear torque curve right down to idle speed, which is quite a nice thing around town. Going up hills is a different matter though, as would be buying one to do anything other than 100% around town work. I might consider something with that engine in it again, but only:

a) as an absolute last resort alternative to walking b) if it was *really* cheap, compared to the nearest equivalent age/mileage/condition TDI of the same model.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

It's a lifetime for many regulars here in terms of car ownership.

It's also a lifetime from the perspective of my mate's kid.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Laurint & Klement are special editions on the modern Skoda Range. Like vRS are the sporty ones, the L&K are posher ones, both petrol and diesel, manual and auto. Superb MK1 auto L&K models are tiptronic, MK2s are DSG

Full Leather/Alcantara, headlight washers and levellers, optional HIDs, heated seats, electric and heated mirrors, special wheels, leather wheel and gearknob, climatronic as default.

It is the comfy cruiser to the vRS's wanabe rally car. Still pretty quick and they can be remapped in diesel and petrol just like the vRSs can, can use the same coilovers and brake upgrades. They do a Superb in that spec too which very nice but out of my price and tax range.

Reply to
Elder

SWMBO wants me in a modern again, the only car she ever liked was the old Octavia I had, and my life will be hell if I don't finally comply. I've had 8 years of getting away with driving stupid cars as dailies and spending too much money on them.

Reply to
Elder