Best no BS motor oil/filter comparison?

No, the ExtraGuard is the cheapo $3-4 filter. The one with Teflon/PTFE inside is not on their website (that I can see), but I think it was called the DoubleGuard. Some of the current filters have PTFE on the exterior gaskets. On the website they list the ExtraGuard, ToughGuard, ExtendedGuard, and Racing filter (apparently some Ford and Chevys only), and an additional one sold in Canada. They also have a high-mileage filter, presumably with the same chemicals found in high mileage oil being marketed these days (works OK if you have some sort of problem, like minor leaking and/or minor oil burning).
I will admit that the ExtraGuard and ToughGuard are crappy and mediocre respectively, but the ExtendedGuard is quite well made (should be for about $10-$11), and I don't see how anyone can question the build quality. The ExtendedGuard and Racing oil filters may be expensive, but they are very good/excellent filters. I generally use the Mobil 1 filter, but when not available I use the Fram ExtendedGuard filter.
If you want to see the inside of the Fram filters, check out this website (click on "Technology" for the filter you want info on). http://www.fram.com/products/oilFilters.php
One more thing. Based on your posts, it is safe to assume that there is nothing but sawdust inside your skull, unless you put a window on head and we can see otherwise.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

You need to look at that inside of one. It doesn't work that way and as I mentioned, the cap is filled with epoxy.
--
"Boy, I've spent my adult life dealing with people like you.
There are few things that intimidate me; and a
Tegger wrote:

The three that I have cut open certainly were. I may have had some other fibers in it to make it a bit tougher, but it tore like cardboard. In fact one of the three I opened the cardboard end cap had partially separated from the filter media creating a spot where unfiltered oil could easily leak through. THAT was the last Fram filter I ever bought, changed to NAPA Gold which at that time had been rated #1 by someone, I think maybe Consumer Reports.
--
"Boy, I've spent my adult life dealing with people like you.
There are few things that intimidate me; and a

I've never actually seen a Fram end cap detached when I opened a filter, but I have easily detached them. Calling the end caps gasket material is really a stretch. It makes the material sound better than it is, even if it is exactly the same material as used in some gasket somewhere. Gaskets are supported on both sides by solid materials that compress the gasket material to create a seal. The Fram end caps are glued to paper on one side and unsupported on the other. This is a totally different application and the requirements are completely different than for paper used for actual gaskets. Calling the end cap material, "gasket material" says nothing about it suitability for use as an end cap in an oil filter.

NAPA Gold = Wix. The P/Ns are even obviously related. Wix filters are good quality filter at a price comparable to Fram's cheapest filters ( the PH line). The quality of the materials used is far superior and WIX even provides actual performance information (for an example see http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?PartQ372 ). Fram just provides advertising copy for their filters that is virtually content free. Amsoil also sells Wix Filters (as Wix Filters as an additional choice to the Amsoil private label EO range that I believe comes from Donaldson).
Ed
Ed White wrote:

Ditto CarQuest "house brand" filters. Even the same relationship to the part number (first couple of digits indicates the reseller, the rest of the P/N is the application).
Note however that NAPA "Silver" filters are NOT made by Wix. I don't know who makes them.
Wix filters are good

In fairness to Fram, that's only true of their automotive filters. They have a line of industrial filters that are well-documented and seem to come from a different planet (or at least a different manufacturing plant on the same planet) than their consumer grade products. The thing I like about Wix is that their product line is more seamless- the consumer-grade products are documented just like the industrial products.
Of course that could all change next year. Federal-Mogul, for example, used to be a name you could trust on face value in parts. Now they sell a whole lot of made-in-China junk. You can't trust entirely in past performance anymore, unfortunately.
SMS wrote:

Amsoil meets or surpasses API specs, yes, according to them and one type is API certified. There is a difference between can not and refusing to provide some proprietary information.
--
"Boy, I've spent my adult life dealing with people like you.
There are few things that intimidate me; and a

The big lie.
Mark A wrote:

You have proof of Amsoil lying? If you do I am sure that by all means a lot of people would be interested in it.
--
"Boy, I've spent my adult life dealing with people like you.
There are few things that intimidate me; and a

BTW, where did this debate you refer to take place? I'd like to go back and read the archive of it.
SMS wrote:

I don't think Byron Selbrede "leaked" anything since he is Amsoil's technical services manager. That would also explain complaints from the motorcycle crowd about Amsoil lowering the phosphorous content in the regular oil until the separated and made a motor cycle oil. Which has happened since that email was sent.
--
"Boy, I've spent my adult life dealing with people like you.
There are few things that intimidate me; and a

There is a site somewhere I visited that tested all filters. Alot depends on driving style, if normal not racing the car manufacturers is always safe. On oil Mobil 1 is as good as it gets, for racing maybe Royal Purple. Most any name brand is fine and much improved over the last 30 years.
ransley wrote:

This is what the OP is trying to avoid. Provide proof saying Mobil 1 is the best oil you can buy, some sort of test showing that. Good luck with that.
--
"Boy, I've spent my adult life dealing with people like you.
There are few things that intimidate me; and a
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:04:22 -0600, "WindsorFox<[SS]>"

Someone did do a test like that with their camaro. they ran some regular oil, Mobil 1 and Amsoil and got the oil tested at regular intervals and tracked teh results. It was very interesting. They eventually ran out of time and money to cointue but they got up to a little over 10,000 miles on the various oils as I recall.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

I did a test with "Dan Gurney's All-American" synthetic oil, in the mid-1970s, at Riverside raceway, a 95-degree day, and an S-W electric oil temperature gauge.
Ran one half-hour practice session (full GP course with the mile-and-a-tenth straightaway) early in the morning, noted the oil temperature on the last 'hot' lap. Drained out the Castrol (GTX 20-50 IIRC), replaced the filter with new-same, and refilled with the Gurney synthetic.
Ran the next session, just before noon, day had heated up a few degrees, noted the oil temperature on the last hot lap was 10 degrees cooler than at the end of the first session. Lap times were improved, but not more than what I'd learned to expect as a result of practice and tire-pressure trimming - which may have been in the wrong direction and cancelled or masked any improvement due to the oil, but I didn't think so.
That's it. Close as I can get to "science".
I have no idea if the synthetic of those days would be "full" or blend, or what it might have been in any respect other than it had Gurney's name on it and cost nearly ten dollars a quart.
--
Frank ess

If that's what I think it is, it was a polyol ester base oil with pretty much the same additive package you'd find in any motor oil of that era.
I think pretty much all of the modern synthetics (that are really synthetic) use polyalphaolefin base oils but I may well be out of date here. --scott

You are almost certainly referring to http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html . They went longer than 10,000 miles, but it looks like the "study" has been static since 2005.
Ed
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:29:24 -0500, "C. E. White"

I recall Consumer Reports did an oil study maybe 20 years ago. One of their better efforts at actually testing products instead of relying on self-selecting surveys and subjective opinions. They used the cars of a NYC taxi company and after substantial miles tore down and miked the engine internals. As I recall they found no significant differences between oils, and I think one was a synthetic. But I can't remember exactly. It was still a flawed test, since some of the limited number of taxis they used broke down and didn't finish the test, and they had no way to control drivers. Don't believe they even mentioned the latter fact. Wouldn't fit their "scientific" pretense. But at least they tried.
--Vic

The test you are talking about was done in 1996. A copy of the article is available at http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id11.html .
Ed
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:45:37 -0500, "C. E. White"

Thanks. Probably the best test I've seen. A real controlled lab test would be better, but cost an arm and a leg. I didn't notice any mention of filters in the article.
--Vic

Not pleased with the CR taxi test? I don't really care. I don't drive a Chevy Caprice or Ford Crown Vic, I drive a Camry. Besides, CR said that there was no significant difference in engine wear. They did not say there was no difference. Other tests conducted by BMW (and others) have claimed different results, which is probably why they specify synthetic as factory fill.
Since the auto industry is in deep trouble right now, I sincerely hope that people would keep using conventional oil (and switch from synthetic to conventional oil) and purchase new cars more often, so we can keep those people employed.