Just put on flowmasters

happy Birthday Gen-u-wine Old Fart! Big 5 0? Just think you have the same label as the Mustangs do!

-- _______________________________________ "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: The chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Reply to
Just Me "Koi"
** Aaaah! You sound like an old fart! Flowmasters are the best!

Ahhhh...guilty as charged. I will admit however, those 2-chamber Flowmasters sounded AWESOME when they were new. If I could afford to change them every 6 months, they'd stay. I later ended up finding a better way to make it sound great without the ear-splitting noise, so I'm a happy guy.

Speaking of ear-splitting noise, does anyone here know just how ..quiet.. it can be without a wife sideling 24/7? (Seinfeld covered Sidelers already, so move along.) I can now hear a mouse fart 10 miles away. Life is good.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** well, it is my beater car. ha. i pitched those stockers. they looked ** like they had been to hell and back. the best part is 2100rpm. ** everything in the car shakes. perfect!

Aw, hell, if it's a beater, all bets are off! Hell, I'd run open pipes on my Beater if the law let me. Them backward-hat, nose-ringed Honda Dorks aint' got nothin' on MY beater!

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** Well, you *could* use muffler clamps, but that seems kinda JC ** Whitney-ish to me, something someone would do to an old Nova rust bucket.

I agree. Do it right: git the duck tape out!

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** I have this same dilemma... Should I replace OEM style mufflers on an all ** stock 5.0 or Magnaflow system? ** ** Thoughts?

Installing high-flow cats makes a much bigger difference in the way it sounds, than do mufflers. I use OEM mufflers and a set of high-flow cats, and it sounds killer...at a lower volume of course.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** they don't make as much power? heh, i dont think so - my stock pulley, ** stock ** tune cobra now makes 433 sae hp thanks to a flowmaster catback and cai ** only - that is a gain of 59 from stock (same dyno)

I'd love to see the before and after dyno runs on that one. Do you have them posted online somewhere?

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

I'm sure he's referring to an '03-04 Cobra... but...

433 - 59... 372? I thought these cars were *underrated* from the factory? What were the testing conditions? 100*F day on the first run, 50*F day on the second with new exhaust might just give an artificially aspirated car a bigger kick in the ass if the numbers aren't corrected for temperature.

Also, it's well known that the new Cobra is corked up from the factory. Exhaust changes typically result in big power gains, but that's a full exhaust change. A cat-back shouldn't add 60hp. On an N/A car, that addition would be negligable at best. The butt-ometer wouldn't even register, though the mind might think so.

Did you see the new Summit catalog? All of the new "Summit" air spacers with the coarse thread lookin thing on the inside designed to swirl the air? What's the deal?

JS

Reply to
JS

Ask Cindy about the whole removing of the mufflers on an otherwise stock exhaust '96-up GT. I thought it would be louder. True, it is louder than probably you would like it, but it has a mean, growling effect that I think tops the like-new Flowmaster sound. Those 6 stock cats do a good job of silencing the exhaust up a bit.

JS

Reply to
JS

With exhaust systems you have to live with them for a while before you can TRULY judge them. They ALL sound great when you first bolt them on. Give us your opinion again in a year or so.

All aftermarket exhaust systems perform about the same. Any differences is pretty much only in the advertising. Seems the ones that show an edge in performance are the ratty sounding ones like tube shaped Thrush mufflers... and this is no shit.

We'll see. I have no expirience with Flowmasters, but seems many think they rust out faster than a Chevy Vega.

Don't EVER "warm up" your car! That is the WORST thing you can do! Cold idling kills engines, and exhaust systems. Start it, let it idle for ONLY about 30 seconds to a minute, and be gone. Then drive it _easy_ for the next 15-20 minutes to FULLY warm up the OIL. Note: Oil takes longer to warm up than your coolant, so don't use your car's temp gauge as a judge.

I will.

Patrick '93 Cobra with aftermarket headers, but stock mufflers. (I'd rather hear the engine sounds than the exhaust note.)

Reply to
Patrick

Yeah, Flows are just fine and dandy if you have the money to replace them every two years. I, for one, do not. Bloody pieces of SHIT they are!

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

You mean like Magnapacks? That's what I'm replacing the rotted junk with under my car now.

Good analogy, Patrick. :-)

Really? Damn, I didn't know that. I mean I know you shouldn't drive hard when the engine is cold, but the idling I didn't know about. Thanks!

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

JD Adams wrote

I don't know, but I sometimes wonder about it.

What are you trying to say? Have you recently lost 150 unsightly pounds or something? Or just a temporary separation?

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

I put on 40 Series Deltas on my 89 5.0 last fall.

My Stang has an Off-Road H-pipe and 2 1/4" exhaust.

It has a "real nice" NASCAR growl at WOT, but IMHO, it's STILL WAY too QUIET. :>(

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

Get the DELTAs !!!

I have them on my car and have NO 2k drone what-so-ever!

There nice, but TOO quiet IMHO.

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

DELTAS!! DELTAS!!

Why don't you folks try them ???

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

Reply to
Katmandu
40 Series "DELTAS" John.

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

Reply to
Katmandu

LOL Ok ok DELTAS we got it...... btw.. does Flowmaster make *any* stainless steel mufflers? Or is this why you're going on about deltas?

-Mike

mufflers...

Reply to
<memset

This is exactly how I always drove my 95GT. When I sold it at 93K miles it still wasn't using a drop of oil more than when I got it. (meaning I never even came close to adding oil in between oil changes) no smoke, nothing.

I have flowmasters too on my 03 cobra. Not my 1st choice, it came with them. I'll see how they handle, if they break I'll put something better on. They sound pretty good I must say. Nice burbly sound and engine breaking sounds awesome. And yes, there definitely is the infamous drone around 1800 rpm's. I only hear it when I cruise in that rpm range, or pull up very slowly and crossing that rpm range. Normal driving I don't really hear it. It's not that bad, but I can tell it's there. Any tricks to get rid of it (besides replacing mufflers) ?

Rein

My 95 Deathstar Van is started via a remote starter for at least 10 min from Nov through March. At 100K, it's still has it's original exhaust.

My old Bronco II didn't have a remote, and I would get in and hammer it as soon as the carb idled down (15 seconds or so). I got 200K miles out of that one before I sold it still running.

John Del Wolcott, CT

"I'm just trying to get into heaven, I'm not running for Jesus!" Homer Simpson

(remove S for email reply)

Reply to
John Del

They make the Delta's in a stainless version. I got mine for about $85 each from Summit.

Jason

Reply to
Jason