Lemon Law???

Anyone have any experience with the Lemon Law?? I threatened about it today when I brought my car in and they looked scared and started treating me really nice. Does it apply to used cars? I would be glad to be rid of this car if I can get my money back for it? Do I have any ground to stand on or what? Thanks if anyone can help! Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

Yes, it applies to all cars.

State by state listing.... should help you out.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

the rules differ by state

what state are you in?

Reply to
Chris Shea

I BOUGHT one once. It was recalled because of the paint.

My first Mustang, 95 GT. I won't go into the details again, but I should have let it sit there. The car was cursed.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:40:35 +0000, memset rearranged some electrons to form:

No, it doesn't. Perhaps you should read some of them. For example, CA's law only applies to new vehicles.

Reply to
David M

Should have specified I was referring to my state.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:50:23 +0000, memset rearranged some electrons to form:

Assuming you are still in AR:

"This subchapter shall be known and may be cited as the "Arkansas New Motor Vehicle Quality Assurance Act" ...

"(10) "Manufacturer" means:

(A) Any person who is engaged in the business of constructing or assembling new motor vehicles or installing, on previously assembled vehicle chassis, special bodies or equipment which, when installed, form an integral part of the new motor vehicle;"

..etc...

Only applies to new cars.

Reply to
David M

Refresh me about this car?? I'll say, the "lemon law" is for used cars and arbitration is for new cars. I do know someone who took a Baton Rouge Nissan dealer into arbitration, so I can get some good info for you if you need it.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

David,

He purchased a warranty. Should they ever decide to start denying this warranty then he can call it a lemon & seek legal action. He isn't abusing the car & causing it to have these problems, but rather the car is a f*ck-up or they are screwing up on repairs they are doing.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Additionally:

IS THERE A LEMON LAW FOR USED CARS?

Yes - if you receive an express written warranty with the vehicle. An express written warranty can be either a) the balance of a manufacturer's warranty, b) a separate limited warranty given by the dealer, or c) an extended warranty or service contract you purchase from the dealer at the time you purchase the vehicle. If you have such a warranty, the substance of the new car lemon laws apply.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 03:16:31 +0000, memset rearranged some electrons to form:

Perhaps that's different, but the AR lemon law appears to only apply to new cars as it reads on the web site that you linked to. That's all I was saying. It ain't no big deal to me one way or the other, I have not lived in AR since 1984. ;-)

Reply to
David M

Any info would be greatly appreciated. The car is an '01 GT thatI bought in October. Since I have bought it, the transmission has been rebuilt 3 times. Its been in the shop way more than 30 days, and now its back in the shop. Now it has a rod knock! This car is definitely cursed. Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT(hell on wheels)

Reply to
Erik D.

Send me some info too please. David M has me curious... all of his down-talking horse piss.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:11:38 +0000, memset rearranged some electrons to form:

Very nice. However, I was merely restating the information in the web site that you provided. So, I claim no responsibility to its accuracy. EOS.

Reply to
David M

Reply to
cobra boy

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:21:10 -0600, "Erik D." wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well the very first thing that ran through my mind is that the repairs aren't being made to the transmission correctly. If it was a build original problem then the first rebuild should have fixed it. Based on that I would not think you have a "Lemon" issue, but an incompetent repair issue. Is it the same people doing the tranny work each time and are they standing behind the original repair and re-doing the rebuilds?

Secondly, as an `01 I would think that you didn't have any remaining factory warranty left so that would normally rule out any "Lemon Law" type claims in most states. Used cars are normally considered to be Caveat Emptor; The axiom or principle in commerce that the buyer alone is responsible for assessing the quality of a purchase before buying.

One of the problems in buying any type of "Sporting" automobile, regardless of its milage, is the issue of how it was cared for by its previous owner(s). It could have been run hard and put up wet on more then one occasion. It may have also not had its routine maintenance performed regularly or properly. Did you perform due diligence prior to buying it and run it through Car Fax?

I was looking at buying a 2001 Ford Lightning. Truck was super-clean with pretty low milage (17k), but and this is a big BUT, when I started to check into it's legacy via Car Fax and Ford's automated maintenance system I got some real big surprises.

Firstly, it had gone through 17 different Title changes, secondly there was no record of it ever being brought into any Ford Dealership for routine maintenance. That put me off right off the bat. But I was still pretty damn interested in the Truck so I started to do a little research on what its configuration from the Factory was/is.

This truck had so many damn modifications on it that simply could not have been explained by things such as routine maintenance. The tires weren't the originals yet the Truck show 17,000 mile on the Odometer. Nor were the shocks. They were not Bilstein monotube shocks, but some no names. It also didn't have a limited-slip differential unit in it either. Why the hell would someone switch out the differential unit & replace Bilstein shocks with no-names?

While the Title did not show up as Salvage, I think this Truck had either been stolen & stripped, or severely damaged in an accident. There are ways to wash a Title to clean it up and that is probably why it had gone through so many Title changes. Although Car Fax did not show it as ever having been in an accident. The whole thing was just to weird.

Good luck to you with this car, the great Waldo sees a For Sale sign in your future.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Document EVERYTHING and the corresponding milage, including any screw ups by the dealer. Sounds like it is definately a lemon. He did the arbitration since he bought it new, it's a little different with a used one. But after a certain point you can make them buy it back minus the milage you put on it.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

It pays to know a little more about a car before actually paying money for it.

Wrath

Reply to
hourofthewolf_9

On 3 Mar 2005 00:03:07 -0800, hourofthewolf snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well gee isn't that a word of wisdom :).

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Yes, quite. Mr. D. speaking of his new purchase:

"BTW, for all who suggested gears: I figured out it has them already cause the speedo is way off. Judging by how far its off and the ease of chirping 4th gear I would say its 4.10's."

-Wrath

Reply to
hourofthewolf_9