Why Civics have IRS and Mustangs don't

Because marketeers make those decisions and marketeers are idiots generally.

Actually it should. I don't see how it wouldn't.

Reply to
Brent P

that. Seems

down KIA POS.

buying them.

Darn straight. I'd love a GTS or LX stripper: GT guts, but with the V6 styling, cloth interior, and power nutin'.

(For my desktop wallpaper, I'm trying to decide between

and
and leaning toward the former... Those wheels are so sweet!)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

There are many millions cars out there with power and torque equivalent to the Mustang that also use irs and we haven't heard of any of them poping half shafts. I'm sure Ford can come up with a relatively sturdy half shaft that'll handle the load. Actually they have. The Lincoln LS and the Mustang Cobra. The Cobra half shafts would live very happily in the plain or GT Mustang. It would have made more sense to use irs for all Mustangs and make the live axle an expensive option for dragsters. How many Mustang owners actually need the added extreme durability of a live axle? Only those few highly modified 1/4 mile dragsters. I'm sure they represent less than 0.01% of all mustang owners.

Like I said before, my opinion is that Ford is trying to maintain enough of a technological and performance gap between the GT and the Cobra to justify the huge Cobra markup, and to make cobra buyers feel like they're getting something special for the extra $$$$$. BTW there's usually a significant price to pay in ride and comfort to get similar performance from a live axle as you would with irs. Try taking a high speed corner on rough pavement with a live axle and watch your rear end dance around. A real boost in confidence.

Having said all this, I'm sure Ford will make a load of money selling Mustangs because they are cheap and look good. The irs issue is a matter of principle. I'm sure the decision was made by the marketing department rather than engineering. Being an engineer, I'm not too fond of marketing departments.

Raffi

Reply to
Raffi

Uh, wait just a minute there! ;-) In 1999, the Mustang V6 coupe and the Civic Si coupe had allot in common. I looked at both.

I chose the Civic because the seats were shaped better (sportier), the

5-speed shifter was allot slicker, and I felt more comfortable in the back seat (my wife occasionally drives her mother around and I take the back).

The Mustang had better low-end but the Civic had better mileage (much better city mpg). The Mustang was slightly larger and much heavier (no doubt making it safer), though the '99 Civic coupe was considered to be one of the safest small cars in at least two separate tests, second only to the VW Golf/NB. Overall performance (0-60 and 1/4m) was similar, with the 5-speed V6 Mustang being slightly quicker.

The Mustang had ricey fake scoops while the Civic (even for the "sporty" model), was very conservatively styled (no factory rice whatsoever - not even a rear spoiler was standard).

The Civic cost a little more but had a power moon roof (nice to have in FL). Had I been able to afford the convertible (my #1 priority and the reason I was at the Ford dealership in the first place), I would have chosen the Mustang.

Plus, my previous Civic at 7 yrs / 140k was remarkably dependable (my current Civic at 5 years / 70k miles also has an immaculate service record so far - knock on plastic). However, my parent's '87 Escort GT also had a stellar service record at that age.

So at one time, you COULD compare at least one brand new Civic model to a Mustang model, IMHO. But not today (no Civic Si coupe and performance gap has widened).

My next car may or may not be a convertible, but it WILL be a Mustang GT (regardless or rear suspension)! That's only because I'm absolutely crazy about the new styling (inside and out)!

Reply to
Mark Gonzales