Cant go over 50MPH - Clutch Problems - 93 Nissan 240SX

Since the last couple of weeks, I am having problem accelerating beyond 50 MPH (approx). Engine revs but no increase in speed. I feel loss in engine power also.

I took it the mechanic - said it was the clutch and gave me an estimate of $700 and said it can be more if there are problems with the flywheel.

Any suggestions from the Nissan group. Any way to confirm if this is the case before I shell out 1000 bucks.

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
Alex.Smith

Sounds like a clutch to me. Does it smell bad when it's slipping? $700 is about right if he uses decent parts and not cheap reman stuff.

Reply to
Jim

Sounds like the clutch to me, too.

Reply to
ppointer

Yep it's a clutch and since you drove it slipping, you've probably toasted the flywheel as well. Price sounds about right using good parts.

Reply to
Steve T

Imagine that, independent shops ripping off customers, and I thought dealership's were the only ones

at my dealership we would charge a bit over 500 bucks for the job

Reply to
NissTech

It's the clutch but it could just be your adjustment is out. If there's no free play you would get this problem so check there's free play in the pedal, or better still check at the clutch arm before parting with your cash.

Reply to
Steve B