Priority Repairs and Pep Boys

Hi,

As I had indicated in an earlier post, my car (a 91 GXE with about

225K miles) had been overheating for the last 2 months. I took it to Pep Boys, and they indicated one of my fan blades was defective, so they ordered a new set from Nissan and installed. When I picked the car from the shop, i realized the fan was not working, and the overheating was still present. I took it back to Pep Boys the following day, and they then claimed it was the fan motor that was inoperational. They indicated they had to order a new set from Nissan to the tune of about 600.00 total repair costs. I declined and took it to another local mechanic, who ordered a set (both fans and their motor) from a local junk yard for about 150.00.

Now I have a set of new Nissan fans -- what do I do with it - I was thinking of returning it to Pep Boys... what approach should I take? Are they likely to take it back?

Secondly, my new mechanic indicated the following issues, and I want to fix them in the following order:

-- replace my cracked windshield (needed for Maryland state inspection)

-- Coolant Flush and Fill and replace themostat (due to the frequent and previous overheating, he adviced I do this)

-- Leaking High Pressure Steering Line

-- Front Sway Bar end Links

-- Replace Drive Belts

-- Degrease engine compartment due to the leaking steering fluid

Is this a good order to go? It would take me about another year before I can afford to get another car, so I've got to keep this baby.

thanks for your advice - MN

Reply to
Noela

ronm

Also, you should replace the coolant temp sensor- ~$35 from Nissan. It will send the proper signal to the ecu so the fans come on at the proper temperature. Another maintenance item for an old GXE.

Chris

Reply to
Chris H