Re: Peugeot 306 - Coolant/Water Level ?

In message , Matt D joss stops reading and ponders a while before scribbling this reply

>Hiya, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. > >I've just bought a P306 (X reg 2000) a few weeks ago which has 60k on >the clock. It seemed to run with no problems and had a reasonable >service history but I thought 'better be safe than sorry' and had the >timing belt changed at a local Peugeot dealer. During the process of >installing the new timing belt, the garage also advised that the water >pump was leaking badly and needed replacing which I agreed to and I >also arranged for the garage to do a full service on the car at the >same time. > >The above was done three weeks ago and I have kept an eye on things >since. One thing I have noticed that I had never noticed before the >work was done, is that the Coolant Temp Gauge seems to get to about >90c (on local roads) and then as it gets past 90c the fan (I presume) >is kicking in and taking it back to 90c again, is 90c the normal >operating temp ? I'm pretty sure that the gauge level never got to 90c >whilst I was driving it previously, it seemed to remain around 75c.... > >Also I checked the levels when I got the car back from the garage and >the Coolant/Water level was at maximum. When checking yesterday (after >using the car a reasonable amount over the last three weeks) the water >level seems to have dropped a good two inches from the max level. > >Am I being paranoid or is the car behaving like it should be ? > >Many thanks for any help its greatly appreciated !! :) > >Matt > >

Matt your right in your assumption that 75c is the norm on pug 306's. Mine only ever reached near to 90c when sat in stationary traffic, but as soon as the car is moving forward it quickly drops back to 75c. I would suspect the possibility there was an air lock in the cooling system as you say the bottle was full to max. Then after a reasonable period that level has dropped 2 inch from the max level. However, you did not say if this resulting drop in level made any difference to the temp? Either way if the work was done at a main dealer, then I suggest you take it back and let them deal with it. Do let us know the out come.

Regards joss

Reply to
jossmer

Strange. My 306 has always been at 90 degrees c (with internal heater off), increasing slightly when doing long periods of 80mph or so, always dropping back down again to 90 when back to 70mph or.

David Hearn