Cheap Avanti, first look

Just got the cheap ebay Avanti in, so far mostly good news. Hog troughs are fine, body is great, but some bad news for N8. There is a extra bracket on the side of the engine that does not belong on a R1.

John Poulos

you suck!

have you looked at the head casting numbers yet? I can't make them out in your pic

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
John Poulos

Yeah, but if they are the truck/R2 heads that car might be a little bit of a dog without the shiny thing that goes in that bracket.

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Now that I look at the pics again, that car is too nice to euthanize, or am I missing something underneath?

nate

N8N wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Those seats look too nice to have bumpers laying on them!!

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

It's a JT engine and it's staying in the Avanti. BTW, found the door panels in the trunk that the owner did not know was there. I hauled the parts out of the car and added a few pix at:

No way I can shoot this > Yeah, but if they are the truck/R2 heads that car might be a little bit

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
John Poulos

Did that Avanti spend some time at the back of Freddy Badgett's plumbing shop?? Must have been there for a while! Delta discontinued the 100WF and replaced them with with 135WF's a few years ago!!

Craig

Reply to
studebaker8

I wasn't so much asking about buying the engine, I was more curious whether the blower bracket "should" stay on it or not, i.e. what compression does that engine have as it sits now?

Of course, if "by the numbers" it's an R1 car and has its original block but wrong heads, there's a correct set of heads in the middle of your garage right now... (one of them is painted blue, but what the heck)

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
John Poulos

Why is there a s/c bracket on an R1 engine? I notice it has an R1 speedometer.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Reply to
John Poulos

I like that turquoise..... don't see too many that color

Reply to
markansas859

I wouldn't mind tinkering with that car. jimmijim

Reply to
jimmijim8

Dang it John, If I hadn't just done the house buying/selling/ moving thing I would be making you an offer...I'm STILL kicking myself in the ass for not buying that 50 Commander from you a while back....it was a bargain at the price you offered it. Maybe if I sell my Champ and the 63 Daytona real soon... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
John Poulos

if it makes you feel any better (not likely) I can tell you that that '50 Starlight was a hell of a nice car. Only thing wrong with it was the old paint, and the slushomatic trans.

nate

Reply to
N8N

You know my answer...