Knock knock...

The steering box in my Hawk is making a loud knocking noise when you turn the wheel and you can feel a "snap" coming through the steering wheel. I recon it's time has come...it was dry when I got the car a few years ago...bad seal...I packed it with CV grease and let it rip 'till now. The noise has gotten fairly loud although it still steers fine with no play. SASCO has brand new Ross boxes for a couple hundred with shipping and I'm trying to decide whether to do that or "convert" to the Saginaw box. Anyone out there done that? Is it a major PIA? I figure that the existing box went over a hundred thou with NO care at all and most likely the new one will do the same, so....is it worth the trouble to convert? BTW, it's a 59 V8 manual steering and has been (and still is even with the bad box) quite easy to steer IMHO. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George