OT Doings at the museum

Nice mini-article in the April Collectable Automobile showing what the '58 GH would have looked like if Ford dsigners had lent a hand.

In the MI Road Test of the '56 GH, Uncle Tom talks about how great it is that Studebaker was re-introducing fresh air vents. A quick look at photos of '50 - '54 showed them there as did one of a '42. ('46-'49 photos not handy.) Tom caught onto things a bit slowly at times.

New rules require that the duty librarian have the library key at all time when in the building. It is now attached to a (Heyland?) gear via a electrical tie. Gear was from the Boss Man's tranny when it scattered at Road Atlanta.. He mentioned my casual dress and I came back that I certainly wouldn;t want to walk around with a gear in the back pocket of normal trowsers. (How long with they put up with me?)

Rule changes were brought about by the discover of several boxes of "our" magazines in a rubbish bin elsewhere in the park. Obviously, someone stole them and decided that he didn'r really want them, so we increased security. I replied, "Picture this - a magazine donor comes by to drop off some boxes of old magazines. No one here - maybe the place was closed. Rather than take them home to dump there, he dumps them in the rubbish in the park. Maybe he left them at the front door and the park cleaners dumped them. The face on the security man was getting whiter as I went through this scenario. (Opps, is that someone else out to get me?)

Volunteers are on a trip to a restortion shop today. Fantastic place - they get cars from all over the world to do.One guy sends his Bugatti there from Virginia for semi-annual service. I've been there before, so let those who haven't go as room was limited.

Karl (I have another two car museums would would tame me, anyhow!) Haas

Reply to
midlant

Were all the magazines stamped inside the cover with "Property of Studebaker National Museum"? Every book or magazine that I've seen that belongs to a library ALWAYS has their stamp on it somewhere. If there's no stamps on them, its obvious a donation that got misdirected, and the irate security guard owes someone an apology.

Craig.

Reply to
studebaker8

Opps, this was not that museum - it's the local one I report on every once-in-a-while if anything interesting happened. We have no budget - just what we get of what we sell from the duplicate books and magazines we get. The best copy of each issue goes in the files, and the rest are put up for sale. Cars and Parts sell in low quantity, so we scrap the rest - or give them away to kids on the condition that they not litter the park with them. We give receipts for donations, but the dobor does the valuation..

Our books on the shelves are marked, but occasionally one will go missing - maybe three or four a year. Many more are misfiled when non-library people put them back, although I expect that we do some when looking through the racks.

It's fun - I was talking with a Scotsman from Aberdeen the other day and gave him a bit of a shock when I told him to give my best to Oor Willie and The Bruns when he got home. [Comic strip characters of the Sunday Post.] (Yes, I did explain my background later.) Karl

Reply to
midlant