Sticking with 6V

I know this is a well worn topic, but here's my contribution: The starter on my newly acquired 53 Commander turned slowly, growling all the way. I was sure it needed a rebuild, but then noticed the battery cables were 4 gauge--pretty thin for 6 volts. Tractor Supply Co had lots of heavy duty 1 gauge cables of all lengths. Installed a set of them and bingo! She spins like a champ, as fast as any 12 volt would. There is a 12V converter already installed to run an electric fuel pump, so I don't see any good reason to even think about a complete conversion. The total cost was just a bit over $26 for two terminal cables plus the cable link from the solenoid to the starter. Nice to get off that cheap.

REPorter

Reply to
reporter

I still have a 6 volt system on my 55 Conestoga, and have had no problems with it, I'm not afraid to drive it anywhere. Been to several meets in Kansas and Missouri, not to mention all local happenings, Other than a FM radio I see no reason to change to a 12 Volt system.. I carry a portable Radio to the far away meets.

Bob Whiten Wagonmaster

Wagonmaster

I will echo the sentiments above. My daily driver '54 Champion has the

6 volt system, and I have had no trouble with it....yet. My '55 V8 pickup that I drove everyday for 4 years had the same, and on 5 degree days it would turn over kinda slow, but always started.

IMHO, with a six volt system you need to pay more attention to good grounds, and make sure your ignition system is top notch.

By the way, a tip for those who have the cloth covered wire and have places that the covering has 'disappeared' exposing the wire strands. The harness in my '54 was basically good, but some places did have some deteriorated cloth covering. I found that the PlastiDip 'Liquid Electrical Tape' is great for sealing the deteriorated cloth covering, even if there are bare wire spots. In some areas I would seal with the PlastiDip, and then cover the wire with shrink wrap. This works well on wires that have the bullet connectors that you can slip the shrink wrap over. But on other wires that would require the end connectors to be removed to use shrink wrap, the PlastiDip works great. It actually soaks into the fabric covering. It takes several coats, per the instructions. I got mine at Lowe's Builders Supply, but I think that WalMart carries it too. For you really anal folks, it is available in several colors. I just used black...........

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

You also cleaned off at least four connecting surfaces while doing this, which may have had an effect.

Regarding color-coded cables, I had a black + and a red ground cable when I got the car. A roll of red and a roll of black tape did the trick in less than 5 minutes - that was three years ago and they still look good enough for a DD.

Karl

reporter wrote:

Reply to
midlant