help locating the resistor pack

Problem:

1999 Outback. Heater fan only works on setting 4. Hence, the resistor pack needs to be replaced.

Bigger Problem: I can't find the resistor pack. After spending couple of hours upside down under the passenger side dashboard. Still no luck.

- I removed the glove compartment.

- I identified the connector to the fan motor (unplugging it resulted in no fan at all)

- I tried to undo the three screws holding the fan motor. The whole fan assembly came loose, but I stopped short of removing the whole fan. I am not sure if the resistor pack is inside the round black plastic cover (about 8 inches in diameter).

Please help me see this infamous resistor pack. I have been reading "behind the glove compartment", but would like to know what am I looking for?

Another question: Can you still replace individual resistors in the 1999 outback, or do I have to pay $50 for the whole resistor pack from the dealer. (which takes over a week to be ordered).

Thanks for your help. Regards, /dj

Reply to
domestique