car engine oil extended change

My grandmother would turn her nose up at the filthy rag.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, but he got charged in the first place...

If a plod with full lights gets charged for doing it, it does kinda suggest the chances of getting away with it for the rest of us.

Reply to
Adrian

Timothy J. Lee ( snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Over here, the X-type runs on perfectly normal juice.

95RON is the minimum you can buy in the UK.

Perhaps it's more of a question of the fact that the "Town Car" only produces such a laughable power output because it's deliberately detuned to run on a wet fart, because you lot are so anal about your "expensive" juice...? Even though they damn near give it away with cornflakes.

$6/US Gallon over here at the mo.

Reply to
Adrian

What? Change the oil every 1,250 miles? I don't think so!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Logan Shaw ( snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Let's hope that the test works a lot better than the website...

Reply to
Adrian

I've had a Ford Explorer for five years now and have racked up nearly

200,000 miles on it. It's been a good reliable vehicle over that time. Conor probably won't like it because (A) it's mine and (B) it produces "only" 213 bhp. However the engine is unstressed and very quiet at speed on the motorway, and the car is still fast enough to cause those driving European "hot hatches" to be disappointed when they try to outdrag a vehicle that they think must be slow.

Hard to work out what those vehicles could be. For me the great failing of the American motor industry is piss poor ergonomics, vile interior and exterior design, and the strange belief that vinyl is preferable to cloth or leather.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You're out of touch with reality.

What your 30 year old engine has done is irrelevant when talking about modern engines.

That is the reality. I work in the trade, you never have.

Irrelevant to what happens with modern engines.

Yep, typo on my part. 12 months or 15,000km.

You are completely out of touch with your 30 year nonsense.

Reply to
Clockmeister

You don't and never had a clue on the subject. Do you really think your sample of one proves engine longevity without oil changes? Don't be daft.

Reply to
Clockmeister

That's where Star Fleet are based!

Reply to
Martin

Out of interest Steve - does the fact that it's a relatively small power output for the size of engine (compared to a lot of European motors) mean it's s**te on fuel, or is the economy as good or as bad as any other similar vehicle?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It's better than the Range Rover 4.6 HSE, slightly less power but not much less, with the RR 4.6 managing a mere 225bhp. The Range Rover manages 12 - 25 mpg, the Ford does 18 - 23 mpg on the road,as with all

4x4s it can fall off to 7mpg or less off road.

One of the reviews at the time it was launched stated;

"[The Ford has the] SOHC version of the 4.0L V-6 (introduced in 1997) that pumps out a neck snapping 205 hp @ 5,000 rpm and a seismic 250 lb-ft of torque @ only 3,000 rpm. This new engine sports a 9.7 to 1 compression ratio, which is part of the reason for its high efficiency. My test car had this new V-6 and it was connected to a class exclusive 5 speed electronically controlled automatic.

It was my first time with this new combination and was I surprised. This rig gets up and goes. It hits 60 from a standstill in only 8.7 seconds and will sprint from 50 to 70 in 6.4 seconds. This time expands to 9.2 seconds when gong up a 6% grade. Great times for a 4.0L midsize, 4,200 pound sport ute. "

It's really as good as he says, the interior is s**te, but on the good side, it's standing up to high mileages very well, so for what I wanted it for, a workhorse for farm/long distance driving it's been fine.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The same one came to mind after I posted - especially as its the most obvious.

Cuba immediately came to the fore because I'd been watching a documentary about the missile crisis.

Reply to
Conor

Doing a coast to coast is something on my list of things I must do. Not quite sure I'd be as willing to do it in a 2CV though.

Reply to
Conor

He's like that bloke on Gumball 3000 who did it in an Ice Cream Van.

Reply to
Conor

TBH, its so hard to not get caught out by that shit that it really shouldn't be used as an indication of how good/bad a particular unit/Armed Forces is.

The one thing I was glad about with Northern Ireland was that there weren't any suicide bombers.

Reply to
Conor

We get that too. It's the most common form of transport for a new McDonalds. They build them in a factory, stick them on a low loader and take them to the new site where the two halves are bolted together.

Same as London Heathrow. But there's also Gatwick and Stanstead serving London. The UK has the busiest airspace in the world.

Felixstowe and Dover are similar.

Sounds exactly like the London area. Difference is at best it's 4 lanes in each direction.

Reply to
Conor

Merc SL500 ect The S Class is what rich Yanks own and ride in.

C Class is small

BMW 7 series is quite big

BMW Mercedes

3 series C Class 5 series E CLass 7 series S Class

Mercury are outboard motors - they used to do a shared range with Yamaha called Mariner

Reply to
Martin

Its childish so fits in well with the psyche of the country. One thing you have to give Americans is that the average Joe Bloggs never forgets how to have fun. Over here, we just get cynical and bitter.

Reply to
Conor

Gearstick.

Reply to
Conor

Of course the Range Rover doesn't use the ancient Buick derived unit anymore.

Anyway, it was best in the original 3.5 litre form. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)