2006 Sienna

Hi everyone

I used to have a 2000 sienna which had plenty of power to spare. Last year I bought a new 2006 Sienna XLE fwd. I love this new van, but the power leaves a little to be desired. It wants to down shift even going over an over pass. I have had it in the shop 3 time, but they say its normal. Do any of you have one like mine, and does it down shift easily?? Thanks///

Lee Tollett

Reply to
Lee Tollett

Your 2000 Sienna had a 4 speed transmission, while your 2006 Sienna has a 5 speed transmission. The additional gear means that the transmission shifts more often, with the payoff being improved fuel economy and performance.

Reply to
Ray O

That makes sence... BUT it still drives me crazy. Thanks Ray.....

Reply to
Lee Tollett

Japanese manufacturer have a tendency every year to spin up the engines on their cars so they can advertise high HP ratings.

The problem with that is it further separates the maximum torque and HP points making it necessary for the tranny to select the lower gears to maintain speed on grades. Torque is what get you going from a stop and keeps you going up grades, not HP.

That was one reason the new 2008 CAFE ratings, done under the different testing procedures that include grades, reduced the highway mileage for Japanese cars by more MPG than domestics, that tend to have more closely rated torque and HP ratings and thus do not need to down shift as quickly or as often. The average Japanese cars lost 3 to 5 mpg highway and domestics only 1 to 3

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter