Dodged a Bullet this Weekend

Nope. Not a typo. I just didn't care.

We all know who he is. Cuba's last dictator to-be.

Reply to
witfal

But, considering the controversial figure he was, the cause *could* have been relevant. Depending on what it was...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Sure. Relevant to him, or politics. Not to me. I just wanted him out of the picture.

Most sites are portraying the COD as AIDS now. Likely that's the cause, but most likely we'll never know.

Reply to
witfal

Ah yes induction, seems I remember something about that from grade school. So all one has to do is simply wrap a coil of wire around an inductor pair known to be carrying audio frequencies and it will pick up the voice with of course appropriate amplification. Do you wrap the coil of wire around both wires of interest or just one? If only one, which one?

Reply to
dbu,.

I ment conductor pair, not inductor pair, LOL.

Reply to
dbu,.

We tapped on the ring side, single wire. Red insulation in IW. Electrically, it doesn't matter.

Phone lines carry 48VDC. Using both wires would cancel out the signal.

Reply to
witfal

Wasn't that the guy Clintoon had at Camp David a NUMBER of times?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Define "had".

Reply to
witfal

LOL....I'll leave it to your imagination....

In retrospect, one wonders why he 'had' him so many times....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

How did you match impedance or was that not needed? No transformer? I bet you used a solid state device in a cathode follower circut?

Reply to
dbu,.

The device used was completely self-contained. I had no input as to its design, nor was it a kludge hacked together.

We just used the thing.

Now, years later, I'm sure the entire procedure is far more sophisticated, with far better equipment. I've been out of the loop since 2002.

Reply to
witfal

Who gives a FLYING FUCK how some dead left-wing kook spells his name, e.g. AraFART.

Reply to
sharx35

It's ONLY relevant in YOUR mind, as he was one of your leftie DAHlings, fighting the evil (in your mind) Israelis.

Reply to
sharx35

It's only -48VDC under RING conditions. Otherwise, the voltage is much, much lower.

Sharx35, a former telco employee.

Reply to
sharx35

Wrong, buckwheat. The standing voltage is between 48 and 52 VDC, dropping off some, depending on your distance from the CO.

The ring voltage (to actually ring the phone) ranges between 80 and 90 VAC.

Big difference.

Reply to
witfal

That's not what MY VOM says.

Reply to
sharx35

Trust me. I worked in central offices for over 25 years, and outside as a linemen for five before that.

inside runs 52 VDC. It can drop down below that depending on your home's distance from the CO.

Ringing voltage MUST be AC. The mechanisms in the old model 500 desk sets required AC. The clapper won't move back and forth between the two bells if you apply DC.

This is basic knowledge for the central office communications technicians. You must have worked the frame.

Reply to
witfal

Uh, there was a still a whole lot of step by step in the CO's I worked in. I was only 19 and my mind was seldom on my job. I was often made to stand at the rack and solder and unsolder connections, muttering the colour code: blue orange green red?????? whatever. 1965.. central Alberta. Also, crawling over piles of cable on raceways, using waxed string and a little tool, to add more cables to join new LD carrier amps to the rack. Dozens of batteries....humongous copper busbar carried the 48V system around. Perhaps it was the 130 volt system that provided the AC system you mentioned. They bypassed the busbar for a few months, using numerous large diameter stranded cable while we doubled the bus bar capacity for 2000 amps up to 4000 amps. Really. That was in the main LD (toll) office in a city of 400,000, at the time.

Reply to
sharx35

Blue, orange, green, brown, slate for IW. I never worked step as it was going out when I transferred from lineman to the central office. I worked analog/digital hybrids (Western Electric 1A and 1E), and two digitals (AT&T 5E and Nortel DMS-100), and numerous optical, digital, and analog carriers. Along with this, I got to play with mainframes during the years. My first computer was a DEC PDP1170 running UNIX. From there, we went to AT&T 3B5 and 3B15s.

Yes, the 130VAC plant is the source for ringing voltage. It's really low amperage, so it drops pretty far by the time it gets to your house; as I mentioned

80-90 VAC is common.
Reply to
witfal

I'm learning a lot here.