Losing control of the fuel efficiency debate

You're a funny guy. It's apparent, and transparent, who you favor politically. Your party has done nothing to address the issue of domestic production and, in fact, has stood in the way at every step needed to reduce independence on foreign oil.

Come back when you grow up.

Reply to
witfal

I know what you meant.

Some areas or states simply have no public systems to enable taking mass

Nice if you have them. Here, if anyone suggests building trains, the first thing that happens is environmentalist whackos getting court injunctions to stop the laying of tracks. Much like people who say we need to stop buying foreign oil, but won't allow the building of refineries or drilling domestically. Much like those who want you in a

50+ mpg econo-box, while they drive around in SUVs.

It's too late for that here.

Reply to
witfal

We had an interesting situation here a few years ago. Along one of our major highways was an old unused rail bed. The highway carries lots of traffic from downtown to various sprawlville communities between 5 and 10 miles away. Advocates for light rail service pointed out that a train would cost less over any 10 year period than widening and maintaining the highway. The highway project won anyway. I think part of the problem is political connections to the construction industry. Matter of fact, I'm sure of it, based on comments from an insider here in my town.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe in NY. Here, if something has remained unused for any length of time, some environmentalist will "find" and "define" a new sub-species of rat, bird, or bug in the area to ensure nothing is ever used or re-used.

The entire attitude can be summed-up thusly: People are vermin, and need to be eliminated to ensure the planet's survival.

Reply to
witfal

Indeed. How do we nominate those who will be eliminated first?

Reply to
Deke

Ask Earth First, PETA, or Greenpeace members. They all seem to be arbitrary enough to take the plunge.

Reply to
witfal

Reply to
theMan

And your unaware that every politician ever elected from both parties has immediately reniged on their campaign promises? As in "read my lips"

This is nothing more than campaign poofery. It will pass.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I've never noticed ideas like that with Greenpeace. Who told you to say that?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You know better than to ask me that kind of question, Joe. No one told me.

I've spoken directly to GP members. While I'm sure it's not public policy to say so, their membership is becoming increasingly radical. I asked a question about cetaceans. The look on his face was priceless as he aske me, "What's that?"

Too funny.

Reply to
witfal

They've been radical since day one, and that's good. In their earliest dealings with corporate criminals, no other way would've worked. I approve completely. What's the difference between Hooker Chemical illegally dumping toxic waste into Love Canal, and Greenpeace storming their facilities to hang obnoxious banners? Both actions are radical.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

But you don't find it strange that a member doesn't even know the word "cetacean"?

Reply to
witfal

According to two highly accurate surveys since 2001, 54% of the population is known to be hopelessly stupid. There is no subset of the population which escapes this statistic, even though some like to assign special status based on the uniform worn, or club membership (Mensa).

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

But to be a member of Greenpeace and not know the term is very scary.

Reply to
witfal

Maybe. Lots of people have a sick need to be members of something, even if they have no idea what they're involved with. Look at Sot, for instance.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe? Maybe !!??!!

The organization was founded upon saving whales!

Reply to
witfal

I focus more on their harrassment of corporate environmental criminals, something I consider to be a holy war.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And my pointing out the fact above only lends credence that Greenpeace has obviously lost its way, as well as changed its agenda.

Reply to
witfal

They were waging the holy war in the early 1970s. I don't see protecting whales as being their main purpose at all. And, what's wrong with a mixed agenda? Can you name another entity, whether governmental or not, that is willing to sling shit at companies like General Electric, with no concern for the feelings of the employees responsible for intentional environmental crimes?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The Greenpeace website details how their first order of business was to protest nuclear testing.

Later, whaling became their agenda. Note that this was their second order of business to their own admission. To think that a member carrying no hidden agenda would not know this is unconscionable.

Your GE statement truly IS changing the debate. My only comment was how a member SHOULD know what the word "cetacean" means.

Reply to
witfal