Losing control of the fuel efficiency debate

My one daughter traded one of her small cars on a seven passenger SUV. Now they no longer need to take their two cars when the whole family needed to go some place together. The fact is Americans buy what they need, not what the government or some other idiot things they need

Reply to
Mike hunt

Please don't drive anywhere today. You are hallucinating. In this thread, or any other where I'v been involved in this subject, you have NEVER seen me suggest any form of external control of people's automobile purchases.

NEVER.

However, you will pretend you have seen me say these things because you have a strange need to post things that are in no way related to the discussion in progress.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Then what is you point of complaining about people that buy the vehicle they need?

Reply to
Mike hunt

What do you drive? Is it what you need or merely what you can afford to buy and operate? Should not others have the same chose?

Reply to
Mike hunt

That question is so stupid, it doesn't deserve an answer. Be quiet and pay attention to witfal. Because he is not a moron, he understands the difference between laws, and things that are just a good idea.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You never saw me say that choices should be limited. If you disagree, find the text which made you believe this, and place that text in your next message so we can all see it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why then did you say towing has nothing to do with a persons reason to buy a truck?. Do you believe that person cares what you think they need? Why are you reluctant to tell us what you prefer to drive?

Reply to
Mike hunt

I never said that.

I never said that.

This is fun.

Because you are already having problems dealing with one type of information. I won't give you a second type until you stop hallucinating about the first type.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

About what we suspected, you like to ask questions but never answer one. We do not car what you believe others should buy

Reply to
Mike hunt

To risk my being insular, they sure as hell are here.

Try towing a boat or two-axle trailer with a mini-van.

Reply to
witfal

Mike hunt wrote to JoeSpareBedroom:

You must be really fat if you refer to yourself as "we".

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

That may be, but...

As long as the individual doesn't send me their gasoline bill, I don't care what they drive.

Reply to
witfal

You're probably doing better than >95% of the people who drive cars that size. I'd expect average drivers to get only 12-13 city,

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Not everyone says "I need an SUV to tow something". Even in California. Since you are obsessed with towing, though, I'll refer you to a much higher authority who knows EXACTLY what *********SOME********** of their customers want. Who is this authority? The manufacturers in combination with their ad agencies. Plenty of SUV ads portray a mommy and kids, and the only male in the ad is wearing diapers (not Scott) and being placed in a kid seat.

Now that we know this FACT, tell me why an SUV will carry 3 kids better than a minivan that gets 10 more miles per gallon.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You're breathing their choice. This is the forgotten side issue.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Under those strict parameters, I'd agree. But nothing in your cited commercials PRECLUDES that SUV from being used to tow something.

It could be considered an assumption that it is, as most of what I see here not only have a hitch, but the insert and ball showing wear.

But to agree with your Devil's advocate position, many SUV drivers are only owners specifically due to the size of the vehicle. Like monster trucks on the road, these idiots are compensating.

Reply to
witfal

I'm breathing more of the "choice" of our state ignoring non-registered, uninsured vehicles driven by illegals.

Reply to
witfal

The same is true for the vast majority of advertised vehicles. Therefore, if we are drunk, we can conclude that all Prius commercials are aimed at people who want to tow something.

Now you're thinking clearly.

I wonder what would happen if mini-van commercials repeated things like "34% better gas mileage than any non-hybrid SUV you might be looking at". These days, with so many cars getting over 30 mpg, a mini-van getting 26 doesn't seem like such a hot deal, but compared with an 8 cylinder SUV, the mileage difference is enormous.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's a harder problem to solve.

Here's a question: Have you ever seen anti-smoking or anti-drug as on TV, billboards, in magazines or newspapers?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It brings to mind my old CJ-5. I purchased it new in 1974, for off-roading, and I thrashed that vehicle. It saw every kind of terrain available in SoCal. I even broke the frame on a "fly across a gap" landing.

A neighbor had a Dodge Power Wagon pickup. You remember the type, I'm sure. A street queen with chrome everything even down to the differential cover, which never got dirty or saw a non-asphalt road of any kind. But it sure looked impressive. Right.

Reply to
witfal