Off-Topic Man Bites Dog...

Nah. It was just a tongue-in-cheek comment. BTW, my dog doesn't smell....bad, anyways.

Reply to
witfal

Some people don't smell good, even when they do bathe daily. I'll tell you about it tomorrow. It'll completely befuddle Shmuckland, but that's fun.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Natalie! No competent scientist would draw conclusions based on observations she didn't make, right?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Nor would a competent scientist exclude data that s/he knows exists, but simply hasn't experienced first-hand.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Checkmate.

Reply to
witfal

Worded incorrectly - wouldn't draw a conclusion based on data which s/he knows is incomplete.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Cathy F." ...

What she said.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

We knew what you meant. Still a checkmate.

Reply to
witfal

According to the radio commercials I've been hearing, he must need Dinovite - D - i - n - o - v - i - t - e

Bill Putney

Wow - it appears to cure everything!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you're studying criminal behavior, you don't look at a pack of grannies at a state fair pie baking contest. They're not a logical part of the population you're studying.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How do you tell how well your dog smells? It must be much more difficult to do than tell if it stinks.

Reply to
stoptouchingyourself

The same way you can tell if a flower smells.

Reply to
witfal

People tend to get used to certain smells in their homes, and don't notice them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

However...when a stranger comes into our home and comments on how GOOD your dog smells, you have something there.

Reply to
witfal

How good the dog smells, or that it doesn't smell? The former is kind of weird. The latter sounds normal.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

He's bathed once a week. The shampoo apparently has an odor people like.

Reply to
witfal

So, it's a masking scent. That's the term used for the scents added to lots of products to mask the real smell (as in detergents & shampoos). The dog's smell has been masked, and there's a reason for it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you take a shower, and you're clean, and your soap smells good, is THAT a masking scent?

My dog isn't kept outside. He only goes out to do his business, then comes back in. His odor is never offensive.

Reply to
witfal

Yes, it is, unless you'd like to redefine the terminology used by companies like Unilever, Colgate, Proctor & Gamble, Church and Dwight (Arm and Hammer), Neutrogena, etc. You're welcome to redefine the term if you like, but the new definition will exist only in YOUR mind, for purposes of convenience.

There are people who think towels aren't clean unless they have a scent other than that of the fabric itself. That's why soap companies add scents to most detergents. But, "clean" isn't the presence of a scent. It's the absence of something.

Not to you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom