99 Camry - Fan only works on High

I have a 99 Toyota Camry. The other day I noticed the fan for the vent and AC does not turn on until I have it on High.

Once it is clicked all the way to high everything seems to function normally. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Reply to
quit_sending_me_spam

I read about this problem recently in the toyota ng, and evidently the fault is in the switch, because the three or four speeds of the switch for the fan are developed thru resistors at the various speed points, and these resistors blow or wear out with age and heat...for example, the lowest fan speed generates the most heat due to the resistor. I'm far from an expert in this matter, but I suggest you try looking in the archives for "alt.autos.toyota" of a couple or three months ago.

Reply to
mack

I found a posting here:

This is for a 1988 camry and I have a 99. Is it the same stuff for a car 10 years newer? Forgive me, I am pretty much a car retard so I am trying to learn how to do this stuff myself.

Reply to
quit_sending_me_spam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This wasn't the post (or series of posts) I referred to. You may find the exchanges on "alt.autos.toyota" (as I recall). And to answer your question, I would imagine that the switch would most likely be the same or similar from 1988 to 1999. I don't know how the switch is accessed to replace it, though. good luck!

Reply to
mack

I doubt that it would be the same between 1988 and 1999.

Reply to
Mark A

I said "The same OR SIMILAR". and why shouldn't it be? It's not like changing from vacuum windshield wipers to electric motor wipers, after all. and Toyota tends to stay with similar components for years, not like the Germans, who seem always to want 'the next new thing' and occasionally that philosophy does them dirt when the components prove faulty.

Reply to
mack

well I didn't stumble across the thread you were talking about in alt.autos.toyota but I did find this:

Now it's time for me to figure out how to get the glove box out.

Reply to
quit_sending_me_spam

Problem is solved. I pulled the glove box out to get access to the blower motor resistor. I picked up a new resistor from the dealership for $25.00.

I unplugged the old one and replaced it with the new one and everything is working perfectly again.

Reply to
quit_sending_me_spam

Reply to
wp51dos

There are 5 screws and two clips holding it in place. Open the glove box and you will find the first 3 screws across the top. Close the glovebox again and you will see the fourth screw on the bottom left. (it should be visible)

The fifth screw was hard to find. I had to remove the trim along the right hand side. It is actually a bolt holding it in place. I don't know if there is a better way to remove the trim but I just pulled and it came right off.

The two clips were really hard to get out. They are located in the corners where the first two screws came out. I just muscled it a bit and the whole thing popped out.

When I put everything back together I noticed that if you are small and flexible enough might not have to take the glove box off after all. The resistor is on the back wall on the left hand side and the screws are facing down. Remove the access pannel from below the glovebox and you might be able to reach it. Again I say you will have to be small and flexible but it will save you from having to remove the glove box.

If you are too big and you have given up on the glove box see if you can throw one of the kids down there to do it. Thats what small fingers are for.

Reply to
quit_sending_me_spam