cap recommendation for an 04 Tacoma?

I had an aluminum cap on my old Ford F150 which started to fall apart after

7-8 years, so I want a fiberglass cap for my 04 Tacoma. I've heard there are several brands. Anyone have a recommendation as to brand? I want to keep this truck until the end of its life, so I want one that will last- it doesn't need any special features. There are a couple of cap dealers in the area but I'd like to get so me idea of what I should be looking for before I go there.

--

************* Joe
Reply to

Bob Palmer

And it's fiberglass? Prices here in the Berkshires of western Mass. seem much higher. One guy said $1,200 and another said $1,400. I hate to drive to Springfield or Albany but to save hundreds I just might.

--

************* Joe

Reply to
Joe Zorzin

Joe,

I, too, have an ARE cap and recommend it highly. If I remember correctly (without digging out the receipt), I paid ~$1,300 for a Z-series cap for my '04 Tundra (in Maryland). I paid a little extra for installation to have the cap interior light wired for 24/7 (i.e., direct to the battery).

The ARE has some nice touches and options, like lined interior, clothes rod, etc. Check their web page for special "deals"....I got a tilt-in sliding front window and the clothes rod for free....jumped over there just now, and they're offering a $50 off coupon on any cap.

HTH

Dean...

Joe Zorz>

Reply to
D Larsen

If you go on line they have a 50.00 coupon too...I just put one on my 03 tundra and with step rails it was about 1700. Make sure you ask how they are going to hook the interior light....get that in writing on the contract unless you want the battery deal.

ROBERT F. THOMAS

Robert F. Thomas

You should look for a shell that is specifically molded to fit the cab and bed of your truck. Some companies try to pass off a shell that will sort of fit, but is actually made for an American truck. The interface between the back of the cab and the front of the shell will be angled differently. I know this is purely aesthetic, but if you're going to make a huge investment (say $1000+) and you want to keep a shell for the life of the truck, it is an important factor to consider.

Reply to
desert_taco

I found a Leer dealer in the Greenfield, Mass. area who really knows his stuff. I ordered a Leer which he said is built for the vehicle and I also ordered a factory installed Yakima roof rack to hold 2 kayaks. The total price is about $1,300.

--

************* Joe Zorzin

Reply to
Joe Zorzin