broken clutch fork -- heavy duty replacements?

Hello,

I've broken the clutch fork in my swinaxle tranny. It broke right where the throwout bearing rides on the fork.

I'm looking for a heavy duty replacement, so I won't have this problem again -- does anyone know who makes them? i.e. what distributor or manufacturer? Or should I be able to walk into any vw parts place and find a heavy duty part?

I don't want to put a weak one back in.

Also, how do I remove the old one. I've pulled the two snap rings (one inside the tranny, one outside), but the clutch cable arm is "stuck" to the fork assembly. Does it need a gear puller?

Thanks!

Reply to
nospam

Yes you can find the HD release bearing forks and bushings. They will have bearing arms that wrapped and welded all around the shaft instead of only attached to part of the shaft. Search and you will find!

To remove you still need to remove the bolt going through the transmission that positions and holds the release bearing fork's bushings on the left side. Either you can break off the other bearing arm to slide the whole fork, or what is left of it through the bushing hole, or YES you need to remove the clutch cable arm.

dave

Thanks for the advice. I've been able to get ahold of a SCAT heavy duty cross shaft, and a new set of seals/bearings/etc to go with it.

What's the procedure for reassembly? (I have to confess, I cut the old shaft out and removed it the easy way). I assume the cross shaft goes in first (with one c-clip, washer, and rubber thing), and then I slide the sleeve with the rubber packing on from the outside? Is there any trick to getting the hole in the sleeve to line up with where the bolt on the transaxle case goes? Or does it just go together fairly easily?

Thanks

Reply to
nospam

Yes it sounds like you have the procedure order correct. Lubricate things too! Don't open the c-clips up too much or they might lose tension.

Line up the holes on the bushings and slide it in. Use a nail or small screwdriver to adjust the holes for the bolt. Take your time and go slowly on the bolt installation or you could crush the bushings.

It has been too long since I had to do one, but I seem to remember not seating the inside c-clip until I had the clutch cable arm and return spring in position. :-)

Have fun! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Thanks for the info. I had no trouble getting everything back together, but I seem to be right back where I started from, with noise coming out of the clutch. Details to follow in another message... :(

Reply to
nospam