Electric VW =/

I am the owner of a 72 bug and an engineering student. I tinker alot and have always been interested in alternative fuel sources... ...I have looked for electrical conversion kits, and found nothing. I eventually made my own diagrams. It involves putting an additional pinion gear in the differential which is inside the vw's transmission then attaching a dc motor +transmission to it. This would make a hybrid vehicle that could run on electric or gasoline or both at the same time(better gas mileage and hp jump too). wow! that means when I am driving through idaho and my engine go's out I could switch to electricity and get myself to the next town!...I could use only electric in the city too! =/ ...But feel a little uncomfortable. Why hasn't anyone else done this first? It seems like a simple modification. What am I missing? If you have any information that may help me or even information about electrical vw kits I would greatly apreciate it. Greg snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Greg_Azbill

I'm aware of a Porsche 914 kit; google VoltsPorsche. Presumably, a lot of the bits to connect the motor to to the transmission would work for a Beetle, but you'd probably have to build your own battery box.

Reply to
Roger Ivie

Someone used to make a kit that used a jet starter motor in a VW. Been quite a few years ago, though. How do you intend to add a pinion gear? Drill a hole in the top or something? Seems anything but simple... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Maybe one of the amphibious transaxles would be adaptable? Don't know how, but they had an additional shaft for the propeller. Have you considered a simpler power application to front wheels? That's the easiest way to hybrid. You don't need the gears in the transaxle obviously, but may need additional gear reduction beyond simply adding a pinion (simply?? I think not!) -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

The amphibious Schwimmwagen had a different nut on the lower flywheel to which the propellor attached through the bodywork.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Why not go a differant route. Install a generator in the back seat or under the bonnet and a bank of batteries then install an electric motor such as a jet starter or very large dc direct drive to the transaxle input shaft. Hybrid Electric Power.

Reply to
John Cassara

To be honest I did think of the idea with the front wheels but am not as familiar with their assembly as I am with the motor and the transmission. The front wheels also turn (not as in spin but turn corners), so I think it would be difficult to install them unless it is in the wheel itself. I will look into it. I know that they do manufacture bike wheels with motors, why not cars too?

I looked into the schimwagen, and I don't think its output on the propeller could be reversed without some serious issues with the transmission, but its still a decent idea. How about a 4wd transmission? If you think of anything else tell me. Thanks!

Reply to
Greg_Azbill

=) Thanks! I know that a few bug owners have put porsch motors and transmissions in their cars so they must be more compatable than you'd think. All the electric conversion kits for the porsch I can find all electric, not gas/electric do know of any that are?

Reply to
Greg_Azbill

I found that kit with the jet starter, seems to be all electric though. =/

Yes, I was planning on drilling an oval hole in the top of the trann and then grinding it down with a rough grit grinder. The reason the hole would have to be oval so it could be ajustable, you would need to be like .004 mm close to the target(, anything other than that then it would make alot of noise, power loss, and even an explosion of gears everywhere). The new assembly would be then attached to the trann with screws that also have oval holes (and washers ect). For addional strenth it might be a good idea to get clamps that attach to the transmission too. The motor itself would reach up into the cab behind the seats.

..You are right, it is anything but simple. Got any ideas? =P

Reply to
Greg_Azbill

..that would work... ..but that is the same as a direct conversion, with an added generator. Do you think the generator would give enough juice? It might lower gas mileage and hp too. =/

That might not be so bad. Sometimes I have a tendency to take the hard route when it is not necessary.

Reply to
Greg_Azbill

Your idea has two problems: #1 Alot of work. #2 No way to disengauge the gas engine when running on electric (unless you hold in the clutch). If you're running an IRS then you could add a chain drive to one of the rear axles, & just put it in neutral when running electric. You don't really need the trans so much for the electric motor anyway. This would also allow you charge the batteries using the electric motor if you had the right system. Where did you find the jet starter kit? HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver