Is this safe?

My front beam is starting to rust. When I was airing up my tire the other day I noticed just how bad it was. I'm wondering if this is ok to drive on, or if I should worry about it breaking. I am going to replace the whole piece, spindle to spindle, when I get the $$$, and when I figure out how to cut and reattach the bumper braces without a welder. Any tips/suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

Here's a pic, this side is much worse than the other one.

Jon

76 Standard Beetle
Reply to
Jon

LOL ! You call *that* rust?? Here in the rust belt, we drive 'em till the thing looks like a lace curtain!

BTW, that stiffener rusts out from the *inside*. Moisture condenses on the inside surfaces, or salt gets in there from ocean air or from road salt. The inside surafces are *not* protected against rust.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:51:27 -0500, Speedy Jim ran around screaming and yelling:

and the "drain hole" on the bottom gets stopped up easily... JT(who didn't think that was "rusty" either)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yeah,................It's safe.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Man, thats nothing! You should see mine, that's rusty! I'll take a pic on monday.

Ant

Jon wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Looks good to me. Spray on metal clean and coat with por-15 if you want. Of course I had the spring support on my drivers front strut rust off last year. At 60mph it came apart with a loud "bang". Other than the car leaning to the left, it still handles ok with less front vibration... maybe it was the rust all along. Maybe you should not listen to my opinion on this. Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik