OT I'm not sayin'...... (warning: political content)

Just got this in email. Love it, hate it, ignore it, make a complete ass of yourself over it, whatever. :-)

A Military Story -- Don't Close Your Blinds

The other day, my nine year old son wanted to know why we were at war. My husband looked at our son and then looked at me. My husband and I were in the Army during the Gulf War and we would be honored to serve and defend our Country again today. I knew that my husband would give him a good explanation.

My husband thought for a few minutes and then told my son to go stand in our front living room window. He said "Son, stand there and tell me what you see?" "I see trees and cars and our neighbor's houses." he replied.

"OK, now I want you to pretend that our house and our yard is the United States of America and you are President Bush."

Our son giggled and said "OK." "Now son, I want you to look out the window and pretend that every house and yard on this block is a different country" my husband said.

"OK Dad, I'm pretending." "Now I want you to stand there and look out the window and pretend you see Saddam come out of his house with his wife, he has her by the hair and is hitting her. You see her bleeding and crying. He hits her in the face, he throws her on the ground, then he starts to kick her to death. Their children run out and are afraid to stop him, they are screaming and crying, they are watching this but do nothing because they are kids and they are afraid of their father. You see all of this son.... what do you do?"

"Dad?" "What do you do son?" >

"I'd call the police, Dad." "OK. Pretend that the police are the United Nations and they take your call, listen to what you know and saw but they refuse to help. What do you do then son?"

"Dad.......... but the police are supposed to help!" My son starts to whine.

"They don't want to son, because they say that it is not their place or your place to get involved and that you should stay out of it," my husband says.

"But Dad...he killed her!!" my son exclaims. "I know he did...but the police tell you to stay out of it. Now I want you to look out that window and pretend you see our neighbor who you're pretending is Saddam turn around and do the same thing to his children."

"Daddy...he kills them?"

"Yes son, he does. What do you do?"

"Well, if the police don't want to help, I will go and ask my next door neighbor to help me stop him." our son says.

"Son, our next door neighbor sees what is happening and refuses to get involved as well. He refuses to open the door and help you stop him," my husband says.

"But Dad, I NEED help!!! I can't stop him by myself!!" "WHAT DO YOU DO SON?" Our son starts to cry.

"OK, no one wants to help you, the man across the street saw you ask for help and saw that no one would help you stop him. He stands taller and he walks across the street to the old ladies house and breaks down her door and drags her out, steals all her stuff and sets her house on fire and then...he kills her. He turns around and sees you standing in he window and laughs at you. WHAT DO YOU DO?"

"Daddy..."

"WHAT DO YOU DO?"

Our son is crying and he looks down and he whispers, "I'd close the blinds, Daddy."

My husband looks at our son with tears in his eyes and asks him..."Why?"

"Because Daddy.....the police are supposed to help people who needs them...and they won't help.... You always say that neighbors are supposed to HELP neighbors, but they won't help either...they won't help me stop him...I'm afraid....I can't do it by myself Daddy.....I can't look out my window and just watch him do all these terrible things and...and.....do nothing...so....I'm just going to close the blinds.... so I can't see what he's doing........and I'm going to pretend that it is not happening."

I start to cry. My husband looks at our nine year old son standing in the window, looking pitiful and ashamed at his answers to my husbands questions and he says..."Son" "Yes, Daddy."

"Open the blinds because that man.... he's at your front door..."WHAT DO YOU DO?" My son looks at his father, anger and defiance in his eyes. He balls up his tiny fists and looks his father square in the eyes, without hesitation he says: "I DEFEND MY FAMILY DAD!! I'M NOT GONNA LET HIM HURT MOMMY OR MY SISTER, DAD!!! I'M GONNA FIGHT HIM, DAD, I'M GONNA FIGHT HIM!!!!!"

I see a tear roll down my husband's cheek and he grabs our son to his chest and hugs him tight, and says... "It's too late to fight him, he's too strong and he's already at YOUR front door son.....you should have stopped him BEFORE he killed his wife, and his children and the old lady across the way. You have to do what's right, even if you have to do it alone, before it's too late." my husband whispers. "THAT scenario I just gave you is WHY we are at war with Iraq. When good men stand by and let evil happen son, THAT is the greatest EVIL of all." Our President is doing what is right. We, as a free nation, must understand that this war is a war of humanity. WE must remove evil men from power so that we can continue to live in a free world where we are not afraid to look out our window so that my nine year old son won't grow up in a world where he feels that if he just "closes" that blinds the atrocities in he world won't affect him.

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!" BE PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN! BE PROUD OF OUR TROOPS!! SUPPORT THEM!!! SUPPORT AMERICA!! SO THAT IN THE FUTURE OUR CHILDREN WILL NEVER HAVE TO CLOSE THEIR BLINDS..."

Reply to
Shaggie

How pathethic Travis this is even low by your standards... I guess you have had an overdose of Fox news lately.. Sad is al I can muster at the moment..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Good one.

Now explain to your son why we are not this very day bombing the livin' shit out of Sudan because its gov't is allowing the extermination of thousands.

Oh....I forgot; the ones in the death camps are BLACK. And...we don't want to piss off the Sudanese 'cuz of their oil and the lucrative contracts held by the high and mighty of several countries.

hy-poc-ri-sy (hi pok'ruh see) n. pl. 1. the false profession of desirable or publicly approved qualities, beliefs, or feelings, esp. a pretense of having virtues, moral principles, or religious beliefs that one does not really possess.

Jim Mais

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Like I said: Love it, hate it, ignore it, make a complete ass of yourself over it, whatever. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Even low by my standards, eh? Don't hold back, now. Like I said.....

Reply to
Shaggie

And after Sudan, there are dozens of others that don't live up to our moral standards. We'll have to work N. Korea in there somewhere, since they do actually have WMD's. Shrubbie is going to be very busy, indeed.

Hairy (Kerry/Edwards...the only choice)

Reply to
Hairy

Reply to
WES PEARSON

If the US was in Sudan right now and not in Iraq then there would be people whining that the US was poking their noses in Sudan's business and asking why we weren't doing something about that saddam dork they just pulled out of a hole in the ground. It's easy to whine about the decisions that the elected leaders of a country are making. People do it all the time. It's definitely a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. You think that if we did go in and "bomb the livin' shit out of Sudan" that there won't be another whole group of whining people asking why we're there and why we're not bombing the living shit out of someone else somewhere on the planet that is oppressed? Do you *really* think that? Really? Well... think again. *tumbleweed blows by*

Reply to
Shaggie

"the only choice"...thats funny....i choose to laugh at that and you....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Just couldn't keep your mouth shut could ya' Shag? :D J/K

On a different note, I was highly entertained when a 3rd grader asked me today who I was voting for. I told him, and he agreed with me that it was the better candidate (and no, I'm not telling you guys because it's my business). I asked him why he thought so, and he gave me some really good answers. I don't know why we're just now getting around to educating our children about politics but it's about damn time! At the same time, another kid asked ME why we're at war. I've always been about the most non-political person you'd ever meet. I didn't care about it. As I've gotten older and have a daughter of my own I realize I *have* to care, because the future of America is in her hands. Our kids have to be educated so when they're older they can understand and make the right choices. I wish someone had bothered to fill me in on this stuff when I was a kid. When I would ask my father (A very opinionated politic hound) about the President (George Sr) or anything else government related I was told "It's adult stuff, Honey. You wouldn't understand." Well I would have if someone had explained it to me!

Sorry. Just an observation and small rant. No reply necessary.

Kidd "We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

I like you Shaggie............

Reply to
Mac

There's a name for it... Propaganda.

BTW, Shaggie didn't write it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

All still in friendly terms Travis. :0)

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

And shout a lot, apparently.

(I know I am going to regret this.)

"But Daddy -- I don't think he has any big guns or anything . . . what about that awful Mr. Green next door to him? We know he hates us and he is building some really big guns! And that loony little guy over the fence behind our house? He hates darn near everyone and already has big guns and kills his family and friends, too"

"Never mind about them, son. This guy has me pissed off. You don't piss guys like me off, because we like to swagger and act cocky.

"No, we're gonna get this guy and I'll tell you how.

"First, you lie to everyone to try to get them to help. Lying is okay if you are sure that you are right. What you could do is tell everyone a big lie that the bad man is collecting really big guns and is planning to come into their houses and kill them, too. Just get everyone really scared, because you have to protect yourself by doing whatever it takes to hurt him!

"Second, don't worry about hurting him before he hurts us. It's an okay thing to do -- why, just last week at Mae's Cafe the guy sitting next to me looked like he was thinking about hitting me so I hit him first. I had to protect myself!

"Third, if you're making these decisions, this makes you very important. So you should be careful. A lot of his family members and some of the other neighbors will not agree that you have any business in the bad man's house, so they are going to fight you even after you capture him. It will be very dangerous, and many will be killed, So the smart thing to do is send in the people you lied to to do the work for you. So son: here's your gun -- go get him. Daddy will be waiting here at home."

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kidd Andersson) wrote in message news:...

American are free because we fight for our freedom. You can not give people freedom, it don't work that way. American's do not mind fighting and dying for our freedom if there is a good reason other than personal gain. Anyone with half a brain after seeing the facts can see there is no reason to be in this war. There has to be a good reason to go to war . Afghanistan was the right thing to do and guess what,we have less troops there then we have police in NYC. Bush was told by his own advisers, now we have one Osama,if you go into Iraq you will have a Thounsands".They weren't wrong. We pissed them off so bad they are lining up to join Osama. Who do you think we are fighting in the streets, they are all new recuits. What would you do if troops came into your town. We are American we would do the same as them, just like we did to the British. We could have got that S.O.B. but no, other plans were in the works. People want to be safe not in chaos. I live in NYC and watched those buildings burn do you think I feel safe? My company had the 348 elevator in the WTC and our guys make it out just in time. I traveled Europe recently and they think that all the average American cares about is if he has enough fuel for his Hummer and if the beer is cold in the fridge, so we can watch football. 30 years ago when we had the long gas lines the Goverment said in 10 years all cars will have to get 30 miles per gallon. The oil companies had a differ plan and the car companies work with them to make money. Drive smaller cars where did that idea come from. To keep that fuel we will Nuke if we have to. It has nothing to do with human rights and freedon, you have to blind not to see what is going in other parts of the world then just focusing on Iraq. Or maybe this is part of the plan. Be objective step back and look, it sure seems we don't give a damn about thousands dying in Africa, as long as our SUV's tanks are full and we have a cold beer.

That wasn't to polical was it?? Soooooo, hmmmm, does anyone know where I can get 67 hubcap?

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

Joe if you really need a hub cap e-mail me your address and I will send you one.

I was military and my veiws are simular to yours, but as we know its hard for me to voice my opionion with out a war starting.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

...........This country is very polarized right now and nobody is budging on how they feel about Iraq. It's the same here at this newsgroup. Arguing about this stuff will amount to nothing in the end. I'm not too sure who I'm going to vote for this time but for the sake of this 'family' here at RAMVA, I'm going to keep my opinions to myself (for once). I hope that all of you guys are actually registered to vote on Nov. 3rd. because that's the ONLY way that any of these opinions will amount to anything more than USENET static.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

BTW.............Kerry has said that he will NOT withdraw from Iraq until that area has been stabilized and there's a representative government elected by the Iraqi people that can run that country. He may talk a lot about getting international help and 'doing a better job' of managing things but in the end we'll still be there for a long time and there'll be a lot of casualties on both sides until the 'job is done' so to speak. The 'cut our losses and get out' crowd is ignoring that fact because they hate Bush more than they really care about this issue. Since Iraq isn't really very relevant in this election because of what I just pointed out, maybe we should be arguing about which First Lady would be the best hostess at the head of state receptions at the White House. It wouldn't be any less relevant than Iraq to the outcome at the polls in a few weeks.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

You are right, Tim. We've got our hands stuck in the Tarbaby and we have to do the right thing when getting out. I agree 100% with you that the country is polarized, and I'm seeing the result all over the 'net, in just about every NG I read. That's why I hesitated to join the fray, knowing I was gonna regret it. So, I apologize for adding to this off-topic thread, but I don't apologize for having strong feelings about the mess our faith-based administration has gotten us all into.

This NG does not have a moderator, nor, as far as I know, a charter. But maybe we can all agree to save the political stuff for NGs devoted to it. Let's all air-cool ourselves.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

He He....you just couldn't resist, could you. Since you added your BTW, I'll add mine. Iraq is relevant if you consider who put us there, against world opinion and even the advice of some of his own advisors. 9/11 was bad enough, now we have 1100 more dead with little to show for it. According to last nights news reports, things aren't getting any better and won't till Bush changes some of his policies. H

Reply to
Hairy