[OT] Propane Torch Orifice Cleaning Q

RAMVA guys know everything about tools.

I need to do some copper pipe sweating on the old homestead, so I dug the old Benz-o-Matic propane/MAP gas torch out of the box o' tools I inherited from my Dad. It's one of those little brass ones that threads onto a small bottle.

The orifice seems to be clogged. A loyal consumer would toss it and buy another; while a tinkerer would attempt to clean it. That's what I want to do. That orifice is darn small - just a few mil judging by eye. If I knew the diameter I could get a bit of music wire (?) and ream the hole out (ahem). Or maybe there is a Known Method for cleaning such things -- some solvent that I could try?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

What could go wrong? Propane, solvents and good intentions...

*waits for Mike to change his nick to Mike "I used to have eyebrows" Elliott.*

Why not just take the torch to the store when you buy the wire so you can get the right size?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I'd try blowinging it clean with compressed air first, with the valve fully open.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Nuttin' honey-- you're right. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this problem and knows the Secret Fix.

As soon as I pull the air compressor's gauges out of the oven (heavy rains, forgot to put the air compressor's "hat" on so the gauges got water inside and look teary, pulled gauges, drilled drain holes in bottoms, squirted WD-40 into them, now drying and am hoping for Good Results) I'll try solvent soaks and air blasting.

Heh.

On account of none of the stores within driving distance carry super-thin music wire and I reckon we are talking anywhere from .0076 down to .003 inches for this thing. I'd need to order on Ye Internette.

I used to take a carbine miner's lantern backpacking before good white LED lamps became available. I read a lot while in bed and normal flashlights chew through batteries quickly. Carbide lanterns use calcium carbide in a gravel form in sealed container. A water drip from an upper chamber onto the carbide causes an chemical reaction which produces heat and acetylene gas. The gas is squirted out through a tiny orifice in a ceramic "nozzle," located in the middle of a circular reflector. Makes a nice-ish white light, and the calcium carbonate waste is ecologically benign, so safe to discard. These lanterns came with a tiny cleaning wire mounted on a tin handle. I never found wire anywhere that was as skinny as that stuff, including Ernie Balls Super-Slinkiest 6th strings. So if the cleaning tool is lost, darkness awaited. I'm hoping that propane torches have a more commodious opening.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...........tsk tsk

.....You said orifice.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Heh. Giggle.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

How about a strand of copper from a braided wire... strip the insulation back only about 1/8" to keep the strand short and stiff... might be enough and you probably have some stranded wire lying around.

Reply to
Red Bug

What have you done with the broken accellerator cable,.................It is stranded wire at least. Cut the end and see how many times you can prick your finger trying yo get One Strand from the mix, to work with. That stuff is pretty small I think.

Ernie ball Super slinky third or fourth string when unwound is a very stiff center wire also,..... whichever numbered string it is.................a pain to unwind, but also a possibilty. ( I can't play guitar well enough to play in earshot of another human, but I have strung many a guitar for myself and others )

I'd also recommend going to Harbor freight and buying a welding torch file. cleaning device.................they make a tool specifically for this ya know............

( it's just more fun trying to find home remedies sometimes,..........)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Try compressed air or one of the other suggestions here. DO NOT enlarge the hole at ALL. If you do the torch will be toast.

Last but the one that will work.... Take it to a jeweler and have them ultrasonic clean it for a few miutes.

Jim SR Racing

Reply to
Jim