Pancake T1?

Help. I'm stupid. We are having a discussion in a web group. A guy has a '73 Bus. Says the engine number begins with "CB", but it's a pancake engine, dual carbs, allegedly stock. I could swear the '73 Bus had a T4 engine and VW didn't make a pancake T1. Or did they?

Reply to
jjs

..............All buses sold new in North America from the '72 through the '79 model years were type 4 powered. There were type 1 powered buses sold in Europe during those model years but AFAIK the only pancake style type 1 engine ever produced was for type 3 vehicles only. Jan would know for sure about this.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

CB is "pancake" (no fan shroud above) *AND* it's Type 4. '72 thru '74 Buses (US) had Type 4 engines with dual carbs. '75 and later were Type 4 with FI.

Fastback and Squareback (Type 3) had "pancake" engines using the Type 1 (Beetle) block but without the fan shroud above.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

DayAm! So there was a T1 in a pancake configuration? With dual carbs? Did those engines have a serial number CBxxxxxx?

Reply to
jjs

..................Like Jim says, that serial no. is for a type 4 engine.

..........Early type 3's had twin carbs, later ones had FI, but I don't remember which year was the change to FI. They all had pancake style type 1 engines.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

A hah! I was right after all. The Type-2 refered to the vehicle, not the engine in particular.

Got it!

Thanks, everyone.

Reply to
jjs
1968 switched to FI.

"Wild" Bill Tucker and Linda

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug (It's in the garage being rewired, and interior installed, Ghia Front Disc)

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, Will rewire and put on road soon.

'67 Squareback ( Soon to be on the Front burner! )

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

There was the CT or CZ engine, 1600 pancake with type 1 case and many type 1 parts, but type 4 STYLE cooling setup. The cooling system however was unique to the CT/CZ and no parts were interchangeable with the T4 cooling system. The case has a cast-in oil filter stand. It would use a type 1 crank, rods, pistons and cylinders, and bolt pattern should be the same as type 1 so type 1 heads can be used. The case has (I seem to think) a seal at both ends of the crank, like the type 4.

I have one CT case in the garage that I plan to use one day to build a street engine out of. It's not the ideal candidate though, because of some minor differences.. but it's a challenge. For example the oil cooler mounting flange is located forther back on top of the engine, if a stock type 1 shroud was used the cooler would sit between the shroud and the distributor. Stock configuration for a CT cooler is different, there cooler sits on ot's side, horizontally.

Go here for more info:

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

That's super, Jan. Thanks.

Reply to
jjs

Hi.You are correct,give yourself a cigar.The CB on the case does indicate a '72-73 T4 motor and to use it in a bug is a major undertaking(see Jake).But results in a very fast bug.T1 pancakes did come in Squarebacks,Fastys and Notches(T3 bodys)Also some Ghias allegedly.Different motor.Tight fit in a bug,and rather pointless as its basicly the same motor in a different configuration.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

Why allegedly? I'm sitting about 30 yards from one as I write this message.

After a long time lurking, I thought it's time I said 'hi'. I have a 1969 Type 34 Ghia, with automatic transmission. I'm gradually bringing it back to life after it spent several years in a very neglected state.

Reply to
Type34

....................Now that you're out in the open............welcome!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

What state would that be? Louisiana? Arkansas?

Reply to
jjs

Only the type-3 Ghias, which are type-3 cars after all.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

A type 34 auto Ghia!Cool!By allegedly I only meant I have only seen owner installed on U.S. style Ghias and heard that the factory made some.Another"unicorn"is the Ghia with folding ragtop.Anyone ever seen one?Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

How's this?

http://63.230.74.177/cruises/BergCruise2k/32/MVC-006F.JPG http://63.230.74.177/cruises/BergCruise2k/32/MVC-005F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Porsche 1600 engine? Would that be the 356 model?

Reply to
jjs

welcome!!!! i absolutely love the type 34!!! post pics if you have them...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Yep,that sure looks like a rag Ghia.Isn't there a story with this car,like it was one of two found in a barn,Porsche power or something like that?Sure is pretty.Thanks.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

Yep. You peeked at the second link, yes?

Max

Reply to
Max Welton