Re: Melting copper (brazing)

> Copper is used for brazing, right ? > > How hot of a flame do I need to get it to melt ? > Can I do this with a small propane torch ? > > Thx, > > Rob. > > -- > ========================= > 1970 VW Beetle > 2004 Subaru WRX Sportwagon > > Fun is not a straight line > =========================

Not the usual propane torch, but a MAPP gas torch will work on small projects:

The rod is brass, usually with an integral flux coating for ease of application.

I'm a big fan of brazing for small sheet metal repair work, although I use an oxy-acetylene torch. Brazing is a skill well worth acquiring.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Brazing is done with a copper alloy, usually with zinc and/or tin, which makes the alloy brass or bronze. The melting point of copper is above 2000F while brazing alloys melt around 1400F.

The usual propane hand torch won't get hot enough to braze unless the metal you're brazing is rather thin.

-

Jim Adney

By law your only allowed to braze non-structual panels. Things like sills, inner wings etc, you MUST weld.

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

sawzall works better. No heat, saves your paintwork.

Jan

Robv wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Like this?

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
Robv wrote:> >
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Yup that's it :D

Jan

"(O\\|/O)(.\\~/.)" wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

well speedy that bernzo site is excellent!

I am all torched up bout learning to cut weld and braze... I already solder all the time...

I didn't know that you could get a household sized, small can of mapp and approach "oxy-a" gas temperatures!

Marco

Reply to
Marc H.Popek

Huh? Whose law? You may be right, but I never heard of this.

SCCA rules allow brazing of roll cages, but they still require that certain proceedures and standards be followed.

I think there's a lot of misunderstand about welding being stronger than brazing. It really depends on the situation.

-

Jim Adney