WCM

I'm getting serious (again... for real, this time!) about getting my 69 Bug into the bodyshop. Part of that is getting all new body rubber, seals, etc, etc, ad infinitum.

I pulled out my WCM catalog and started circling all the stuff I need. I then realized the catalog was #19, from about 1998 or 99. I found my newer one (got it earlier this year), #25, under a pile of papers. So I started going thru that.

Finding the prices is a pain in the butt... silly 10-digit alphanumeric part numbers that don't make sense that you hafta look up in the back of the book, kinda like an jr high school math book.. but whatever.

I noticed that the prices in the *new* catalog are significantly less than those in the *old* catalog. Not sure why.

I'd like to hear comments from those that have used WCM products... do you recommend them? Do you recommend going direct to them or thru a FL(VW)APS? Other thoughts?

My FL(VW)APS, Peninsula Auto in Campbell, Calif, is pretty good and I believe they can get all the same stuff. Which way to go?

-Rob J

Reply to
Rob J

Hey Rob, I've heard WCM rubber is some of the best, no personal experience. For my '62 rag I'm going to order all the rubber from WCM. For my '60 DeLuxe I ordered from WW, they seem to produce allot of their own stuff. As far as difference in quality between the two I'll let you know. As far as pricing, things change... Maybe they had to reduce prices to compete with the inferior stuff out there or maybe their costs changed, I dunno. Just be thankful you're doing the new rubber now and not '98/'99 :o) $$

Cheers,

Gazza

About two to three years ago we used West Coast Metric rubber on our 67 type I in all but a few places. The few places where we did not use the good rubber now need replacement; the WCM rubber is holding up fine. I paid a little more to get the WCM rubber, I thought. Now it turns out I paid much too much for the cheap rubber, because we must replace it again. Of course, if a person only wanted rubber to last for a coupl.e of years . . .

Reply to
Russell Funk

I've used rubber from both WCM and Wolfsburg West. They both sell some of the highest quality rubber you can buy. It may seem expensive, but how about replacing the rubber in another year because it is already rotting,(like my ultra-crappy brazilian door seals). If you plan to keep your car around, pay the extra for quality, if it is in your means.

Reply to
Zarana-X