Best Rated threads in Volkswagen, everything elseshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Vanagon TSB's
I'm still struggling with a surging/idle problem on my 88 westfalia van and was wondering if anyone knows or has access to tsb's. I've cleaned my Idle stabilizer valve a couple of times as well as my...
9
9

Vanagon hesitation 88 Westfalia HELP!
OK so with regards to my Van (1988 Westfalia) I last left the hesitation problem to the updated MAF harness or cheaper fix... the capasitor fix which I did. As luck would have it.. I still have a...
2
2

Replacement side skirts for New Beetle
This past weekend I mangled my driver's side side skirt on a parking barrier and need to get it replaced. I saw in the Driver's Gear magazine that the official VW replacements come in matte black, and...
1
1

Passat wagon with 4 motion
Hi everyone! I have been kind of curious about the Passat wagon with 4 motion. My wife would like one (eventually) but we usually buy used. Are there any outstanding issues associated with any model...
7
7

VW special tool alternative?
On my 96 jetta 2.0L, the bellhousing opening (on the transaxle) has a plug in it that requires a VW special tool to remove. The plug has a hexagonal inset approx. 27mm. Anyone have experience removing...
7
7

Cabrio - stall when AC is on
'98 Cabrio, manual trans. I just replaced the thermostat (wasn't opening, caused serious overheat problem). About the same time the overheat problem started, the engine started stalling whenever A/C...
2
2

Jetta 2.0 vs. 1.8T
I've looking to buy a 2004 Jetta. Last week I test drove one with the 1.8T engine. When I asked the salesman if it required premium fuel he said no. Is this really the case? Also, is there a huge...
47
47

HELP!!!...CD Changer Wiring
Hoping that an audiophile can help me out... I have a Sony 10-Disc cd changer in my Jetta...and the cable that runs from the dashboard to the trunk was inadvertently cut....How difficult is it to run...
1
1

Passat cutting out
Hi Ive got a problem with my Passat, every morning when I slow down at a junction or go to stop, the revs will dip and go straight down to zero and the engine will cut out. It does this about 4-8...
5
5

92 Jetta 1.8 hunting idle when warm
Hi everyone. I have a 92 Jetta (1.8 gas w/AC) that has recently started to hunt idle once it's warmed up. It's intermittent, but it's happening with greater regularity. Started a couple of days ago,...
5
5

Expected engine life- diesel Vanagon
I'm considering purchasing a diesel Vanagon. Many people say that because they are so underpowered, the engines have a much shorter life than if they were in the Rabbit, as they were originally. How...
8
8

HID conversion kits.
Anybody have any experience with these? Are they good, bad, ugly? TIA --TW
18
18

TDI : "safe" RPM ?
Hello, I'm driving a TDI van (VW Multivan with the 5cyl 102hp tdi engine), and I'm wondering what is the maximum "safe" rpm (without "abusing" the engine) that I can keep for an extend period of time...
12
12

Push starting Jetta 1.8T w/ manual gears?
Hello everyone, I have Jetta 1.8t Wolfsburg. I went over the manual and it says not to push start the car in case the battery dies. My mechanic told me that it was BS and they just put it in there so...
19
19

Help. Radio in Safe Mode.
My 1995 VW GTI VR6 battery went dead (kids left a light on) and the anti-theft alarm went mental. Anyway, I jumped it, ran it and all is good with the battery, except... the radio went into "SAFE"...
7
7

Flashing Coolant Light on 97 Jetta
Started up my car to head to work this morning and my red coolant light started flashing less than a minute into my trip. The coolant levels are fine, just had them checked recently, and I kept an eye...
3
3

2.0 '2E' engine hesitation
Last month I posted a long description of my engine problems. Basically I have a 2.0 golf (engine code 2E, Digifant ECU) that has very low power under 1500rpm and bucks when shifting... I just changed...
1
1

84 Jetta GLi Sale, DC area
Hi Folks, I've got a 1984 Jetta GLi, black, that I want to sell. I live in Arlington VA. According to my mechanic, it needs a down pipe and cat ($700) to pass VA emissions. Body is in good shape, new...
1
1

2003 jetta won't start when cold
I have a 2003 Jetta 5 speed. Lately when it is cold out in the morning the car won't start or turnover but, the lights and radio come on fine. After a couple of tries it starts right up. Talked to VW...
9
9

How tight should alternator belt be?
There's more to belts slippping than just tension. The section of the belt has to match the pulley. If the pulley has worn, or the surface is contaminated the belt will slip. If the surfaces have...
5
5