FINALLY!!!! a good decision

Page 3 of 6
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:52:26 -0400, TBone wrote:

HOW SO???? when was the last time you seen a "criminal" say OH!!! I'm resisting arrest, driving 120 mph in a 35mph school zone in the wrong lane???
you realize there are laws on the safe and responsible use of an automobile, right? how well have those worked out in regards to those that don't or wouldn't follow the laws?

WELL! your right, someone shoots at me, your damn straight I'm going to shoot back.
Chris
05 CTD

You're an idiot. The evidence has been posted many, many times right here in this ng. States that have embraced CHL, (you have to OWN a gun before you can carry it), have seen the violent crime stats drop time and time again.
Stick to what you know. I have no idea what that is, but it certainly isn't environmental issues, alternative energy or guns, which is what you have wasted my time arguing about.
Craig C.
miles wrote:

Is it OK for left wingers, like me, to own a gun to protect me and mine from the right wingers?
JAM
Ok, here is one for you all. We all know that each state holds their own laws for buying, owning and carrying hand guns, example, I can buy, own and carry in AZ with out a permit, a cool off period, etc. I can not however even transport into NY said hand gun in ANY manner as I do not own a NY issued permit or a federal trades permit.
What would you all feel if some one were to suggest a more "even" federal law on this issue? Such as a federally issued permit goo ANYWHERE in the US? Required renewal every few years? A manditory and renewable hand gun safety course?
azwiley1 wrote:

I thought AZ had a 2 week wait period with mandatory background check?

Maybe, I maybe wrong as when I bought my hand guns I was still in the Army. All I had to do was pick it out, show my mil id, a copy of my orders assigning me to an installation in the state and give them the money. I do seem to recall though some folks I worked with since I have been out buying and leaving with in the same day. I could be wrong..

No waiting period in AZ - just the NICS requirement

That's what I thought, thanks T.L.

Thank the Brady bunch... it was their website that confirmed it for me. Those Brady people are so helpful :)
On Apr 16, 10:11 pm, "Tom Lawrence"

Thanks Marsha Brady LOL I had a site link that listed all the the laws for all states but couldn't find it. It was extremely useful to me when I drove from AZ to NY a few years ago.
That would take away form the States ability to govern themselves.

It was a federal law that came in to play with "assult rifles." How could having a "unified" nation wide standard hand gun ownership and carrying laws be harmful, be unconstitutional or anything else but useful to many people?
--

PcolaPhil

When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth,

Why? Make the person applying for the permit pay the class and range fees (just like it works now in all states that issue CCW's and have a training requirement). Once you have the training and certification, why the need to keep paying for every subsequent purchase?
Jimbo wrote:

That maybe a good idea to help cut down on gun related accidents but thats about it. Won't do a thing for gun related crimes.

Nope, it won't - because criminals don't worry about silly little gun laws.
See, here's the crux of the problem here: unless firearms are banished from the planet, the criminal element will have weapons to use against their victims. And if you can't completely eliminate the problem, then the next best thing is to level the playing field a little more.
Want a real-world example? Japan bans all civilians from owning firearms, except for hunters. Ammunition is very tightly controlled, and handguns are absolutely banned. Therefore, there shouldn't be any gun violence, right? Then why was the mayor of Nagasaki shot and killed yesterday, by a civilian, with a handgun? Didn't he know that handgun was illegal for him to have? Oh yeah, he didn't care - SINCE HE WAS ABOUT TO COMMIT MURDER.
Using the logic that banning guns will prevent gun crime, one could argue that had they painted a big 'No Parking' zone in front of the Murrah building, Timothy McVeigh wouldn't have blown it up.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Bad example. Gun crimes per capita are FAR lower in Japan than the USA.
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 06:08:35 -0700, miles wrote:

Key word here was ANY. meaning that IF they are BANNED there will be NO gun violence. his example holds true. they are banned and there was gun violence. thus banning guns are not the answer, never has been, never will be.
"The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"     -U.S. Constitution, 2nd amendment
Chris
05 CTD
Chris Thompson wrote:

Name any regulation for any crime of any kind that has 100% success? Does that mean we should just make everything legal because no regulation stops anything 100%?
Hmm...thats the solution!! Make everything legal then there will be no crime at all!
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:38:03 -0700, miles wrote:

that is not what I'm saying so don't try to spin my words.
what i am saying is that banning guns simply doesn't stop gun crime. they are criminals and will always have access to guns. if you ban guns then gun black market only gets bigger.
I'm not looking for 100% success its not going to happen but what i am looking at is NO FURTHER INFRINGEMENT ON OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.
Hitting what you aim at...now that's my idea of gun control.
Chris
05 CTD