FINALLY!!!! a good decision

Page 4 of 6
Chris Thompson wrote:

Who said anything about banning guns? Why do people such as yourself start running off on some tangent every time? Yes, some criminals are always going to get guns but some gun crimes are committed because of the ease with which to get a gun in our society. The crime is convenient. This VT ahole got a gun through the normal easy legal means despite being declared mentally ill and dangerous. Thats wrong and thats what I'm saying.

Define infringement? Should the mentally ill be able to get a gun simply by walking into a store and buying one? Preventing them from doing so is infringement?
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:26:49 -0700, miles wrote:

on April 18 Tom L posted a story about Japan (they have guns banned) as an example of why more gun laws don't necessarily work. Told about a civilan killing a mayor with a hand gun (remember those are banned there)
you replied that it was a bad example because they have lower gun crimes per capita
I replied stating that Tom's example holds true for the fact that IF the gun bans worked. then the murder would not have happened. (hence they don't work because criminals don't follow the law?)
Then you suggest we should remove all laws from the books witch of course lead us here.
Now for the rest of what you said....yes i agree its a shame about what happened. but I personally do not agree that we should make it harder for the average honest joe to get their firearms because there are a few bad apples.
Chris Thompson wrote:

Just a simple every day civilian huh? He was gunned down by the top brass of the Japanese Mafia. Try again.

Define 'honest average joe'. What criteria do you set to determine that they are honest?
Your logic could be applied to many things. Should it be extremely easy for anyone to get a drivers license because its just a few bad apples that are wreckless?
I think we need a better job of background checks including but not limited to those declared mentally ill and dangerous.

Who is an ordinary citizen, right? By that, I mean not a member of the government, military, or police force who would be authorized to possess such a weapon. The fact that he's a criminal is pretty much the whole point of the story.... criminals get guns and commit crimes with them no matter how many gun-control laws exist.

Do you remember your driver's exam and road test? It IS extremely easy for all but the MOST incompetent to obtain licenses. One must only drive on any highway in this country for less than 10 minutes to observe that first-hand.

I'm not entirely opposed to that, either.... what drives me insane is things like HR1022 (calls for a ban on virtually all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns), HR1859 (bans all magazines larger than 10 rounds), and the yet-to-be-introduced bill from the esteemed Rep. Dennis Kucinich from Ohio, a bill banning all semi-automatic handguns.
|> That maybe a good idea to help cut down on gun related accidents but thats | > about it. Won't do a thing for gun related crimes. | | Nope, it won't - because criminals don't worry about silly little gun laws. | | See, here's the crux of the problem here: unless firearms are banished from | the planet, the criminal element will have weapons to use against their | victims. And if you can't completely eliminate the problem, then the next | best thing is to level the playing field a little more. | | Want a real-world example? Japan bans all civilians from owning firearms, | except for hunters. Ammunition is very tightly controlled, and handguns are | absolutely banned. Therefore, there shouldn't be any gun violence, right? | Then why was the mayor of Nagasaki shot and killed yesterday, by a civilian, | with a handgun? Didn't he know that handgun was illegal for him to have? | Oh yeah, he didn't care - SINCE HE WAS ABOUT TO COMMIT MURDER. | | Using the logic that banning guns will prevent gun crime, one could argue | that had they painted a big 'No Parking' zone in front of the Murrah | building, Timothy McVeigh wouldn't have blown it up. |
Ya missed one Tom...The Nagasaki mayor was shot dead by one of those good Japanese citizens just like ohhhh two days ago I do believe. Had he had a gun he could have defended himself.
--

PcolaPhil

When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth,
Jimbo wrote:

It is believed he was killed by a major mafia boss, not a typical japanese citizen.
Sorry bout that Tom. I jumped the gun with my sage advice prior to finishing your read. Mea culpa.
--

PcolaPhil

When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth,
| Jimbo wrote: | | > Go with it...I would only add to your renewal requirements etc, | > everyone purchasing a gun would be charged an additional fee that | > would pay for that mandatory course on gun safety and a practical | > class in firing for proficiency (need not make one a dead eye Dick). | | That maybe a good idea to help cut down on gun related accidents but | thats about it. Won't do a thing for gun related crimes.
Oookay, so what good is a piece of metal with ammunition in it if the holder doesn't know squat about it? Or the safe handling that should be exercised when using it so the holder again, doesn't shoot themselves or someone who doesn't deserve shooting? And if they can't shoot the thing, why have it? What I am stating simply, is that they should KNOW how to use it the most effective way. Then they can blast the shit out of the bad folks that they may encounter thru life. And they should pay for a mandatory course up front, else said course will not be attended.
--

PcolaPhil

When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth,

Door stop Paper Weight Something to throw at them
:^)
Sorry couldn't resist
Jimbo wrote:

Whoa here!! I agree, a gun safety and use course is a great thing! I just dont understand why its brought up in the context of gun crime. It wont do a thing to help crime. Criminals won't take the course and could careless.
Rarely are crimes foiled by a gun owner. I have never seen any stats that show that gun owners are less common to be a victim of a gun related crime against them.

No, you haven't.... because you don't seek them out, and you won't see these things reported by the media, either. Various studies put the number somewhere between 1.4 million and 2.5 million crimes prevented annually. These studies are a little dated, and personal firearms ownership has gone up since then, so I suspect the current annual number to be even higher.

"More Guns, Less Crime" John Lott
Maybe you just didn't look.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

An opinion means little. I have seen stats that show in countries with tight gun controls crime rates are higher overall. However, violent crimes are lower.

It is obvious that your mind has reached its capacity, and is not taking in any new information.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

No, I prefer factual information rather than your opinionated rhetoric.

NOT! The facts are there for you to read if you'd care to.
Steve
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:02:36 -0700, "Steve B"

steve
you could not be more of a moron if you tried. you are a hoot.

Well, I DID buy a Dodge truck, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.
Steve
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:46:53 -0700, "Steve B"

like i said, don't quit your day job.
Steve B wrote:

I did and told you those facts. You chose to ignore them because they didn't fit your own opinions.