If Ford had Cummins?

Page 4 of 13

? my truck is an '05 bighorn dually. http://inlinediesel.com/trucks/3gen/1/index.html
the '01.5 was the lift pump failure, but not the truck im concerned with overloading the front on.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Yup, you got one of the overweight, increased coefficient of drag units.
I still say the 94-02 body and the 00-02 diesel are the best choices
--
Max

i dont know how much weight my slide in camper puts on the front end, but i already have 300# of winch and front bumper on my truck. it looks like adding another 250-300 pounds (generator and mount) would either be over the limit, or to close for comfort. :-(
im wondering if i should consider swapping in an F450/F550 front axle.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Deja vu all over again, huh? :)

heh.....on my '96 it was just the spindles. :-)
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
Why not contact American Axle and see what they say about it?
--
Max

Isn't that with the snow plow package? I thought the "regualar" rating was 4,800 or 4,850?

Nope - that's the 4x4 rating. On 4x2's, the front end is rated at less weight (4750lbs. for the '07s). All 4x4 diesel's show a 5,200lb. front axle.

The dealer wasn't ever involved with this truck so they have no influence at all. It was all DC. Remember I bought this one used but it was still well within the warranty period.
You think you were surprised? I was shocked, I knew they would reimburse warranty repairs, I didn't know they'd weasel out of the full cost. Now that it's on my mind again, in the phone call I was told if I wanted a "free" repair I should've taken it to the dealer. Yeah, right, where they'll tell you it still makes a little pressure or the newer "well, it's still pumping enough volume." Sure, I'll go along with that while inadequate fuel pressure / supply kills the VP-44.

i also bought mine used, with well over 99,800 miles on it. i drove it from bozeman to billings and around town a little and then straight to the dealership to find out what the trouble was because the warranty was so close to expiring.

how is that normally handled? i mean, is it "ok" to have an independent fix it under warranty?
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

As I've always heard it, it wasn't ever a problem in the past. I think "weaseling" out of the full repair cost in something new because when it happened to me was the first time I'd ever heard of it. Forewarned is forearmed.

I've done a search and looked at five pages of possible info.... not one of them has a verifiable failure rate.
Tom isn't full of shit, but saying the lift pump is the weak link in the engine is like saying the universal joint is the weak link in the driveshaft. Everything has a weak link, even that tow chain that has performed flawlessly forever that lays in the bed of many a pickup. IOW, claiming that something is a weak link doesn't assign a failure rate, nor does it indicate flawed design.
--
Max

i do believe that much as been established. 1 in 5 and thats just those under warranty.....add to it the number of failures from modified rigs and you have the issue that you claim never existed.

no shit, and neither am i (i did afterall, have to school you on this issue that doesnt exist), but i know you cant bring yourself to acknowledge it.

what bullshit SPIN. it wasnt the weak link like a u-joint max. it was a piss poor design prone to failure. OWN IT.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Nate, I have to ask.. How can DC be to blame or held accountable for anything on a vehicle that has been modified, regardless of level of modification and one of DC's parts fail?
That would be like modifying a dmax to the max (not you max <bg>) having it fail and then blaming chevy

they arent accountable for those in any legal sense, but due to the rate of failure on the warrantied trucks those numbers cannot be simply dismissed.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

You are correct but you know as well as I that if it is a failure on a modified vechile, they will not count it as a failure on their part. That in itself is a problem, as you, max, Mike and Tom can search the web, or call DC all you want and no one will EVER have an accurate number.

agreed......so lets just stick with the valid warranty claims. how do you feel about 1 in 5?
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Personally, I feel that it is higher then one would logically hope for when dealing with such an issue.

based on the 1 in 5 of valid warranty claimes (disregarding every modified truck to suffer this failure) would you consider my claim of "rampant" valid?